• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

How To Calculate Arm Of Baggage Compartment, Fuel, and Seats

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomeBuilt101

Can someone please give me the math or a spreadsheet to use for calculating the arms of fuel, people, and bags???

So I have the three airplane wheels on digital scales and the airplane is drained down to unusable fuel and oil and I can read the digits on each scale...great...

I then add 10 gallons of fuel and read the three scale digits again...add 10 more gallons...repeat.

Same with people...measure a guys weight and have him sit in the front seat and read three scale digits...then move him into the back seat...repeat.

Same-o with the baggage compartment...place a 50 pound object in the baggage compartment and read the three scales...easy-squeezy...

That part was easy...now the math...not so much.

Geez...I remember doing this crap way back in college however the Google has not been helpful...it keeps giving me the easy stuff like loading 50 pound weight in a known arm baggage area...dang that stupid teeter-totter and the W X A = M...and change in weight and change in moment = new CG minus old CG...or something like that...

I sure do wish I could copy off of someones homework...pretty girls were always useful for that...Any help please?!?!?

Back