How to 'buy and fly' cheap in 2022?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

pfarber

The thought of no insurance is pretty much a non-starter. if I'm putting years of my hard earned savings into the plane, I'll insure it.

For a $20k airplane your hull insurance will be stupid expensive.

$3k a year, in 6 years you just bought another airplane.

cluttonfred

Supporting Member
What about a Piper Tripacer? Always wanted one without the nose weight...

Then it’s a Pacer. ;-)

Tri-Pacers and Colts used to be very cheap because they were looked down on by the collectors. I think those days are over but they still cost less than the earlier taildraggers.

I certainly wouldn’t turn my nose up at a nice one.

1642932618732.png
1642940140170.png

Last edited:

JayKoit

A guy I used to work with always said how nice Prescott is, and that was his planned retirement destination. Didn't retire when he should have....

it really is a nice place. In all my conversations with both locals and people who’ve visited, not one person had said they don't like it.

What about a Piper Tripacer? Always wanted one without the nose weight...
Then it’s a Pacer. ;-)

Tri-Pacers and Colts used to be very cheap because they were looked down on by the collectors. I think those days are over but they still cost less than the earlier taildraggers.

I certainly wouldn’t turn my nose up at a nice one.

View attachment 120962
View attachment 120963

I really like the Colts and Tri Pacers. They’re on my list as well, but I’d slightly prefer all metal or composite. But if the right one comes along...

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
it really is a nice place. In all my conversations with both locals and people who’ve visited, not one person had said they don't like it.

When I spent December to February in Prescott I said this is just like Michigan and left. Very nice though the rest of the year.

FWIW- In Michigan February occationally starts in November and doesn't end for sure till March and even later on occasion.

fretman_2

While not the most glamorous, renting is going to be the least expensive way to log an hour in the air. Money only flows when the hourmeter is running.

When you own the clock is running 24/7.

That's not the whole picture. It depends on the number of hours you fly. If you like to fly a lot, you'd better do your cost comparisons because it may be cheaper per hour to own an airplane. If you only fly 30 hours a year or less...might be best to keep renting if you can't afford to buy. Club rental can be ok, but not ok if you want to do something outside what's allowed. The last time I looked at the rules, the local club makes it prohibitive to keep the airplane overnight on xcountries. They want that airplane available for rent. No good for me. A couple of those former club guys are in my EAA chapter...they all own airplanes now.

fretman_2

For a $20k airplane your hull insurance will be stupid expensive.

$3k a year, in 6 years you just bought another airplane.

My airplane is insured for $40K and my insurance is less than $800. I'm 65 years old and I flew 65 hours last year. The number of hours I flew got the price down! I'm a member of EAA and my insurance is through them.

Bill-Higdon

When I spent December to February in Prescott I said this is just like Michigan and left. Very nice though the rest of the year.

FWIW- In Michigan February occationally starts in November and doesn't end for sure till March and even later on occasion.
Nahh they don't use 3 feet of salt for 3 inches of snow in Prescott

Turd Ferguson

Supporting Member
That's not the whole picture. It depends on the number of hours you fly. If you like to fly a lot, you'd better do your cost comparisons because it may be cheaper per hour to own an airplane.
Well, it also depends on what kind of plane you want to own.
A basic 2 seat or simple homebuilt has a low operating cost so one can break even with fewer hrs. If one wants to log time in a high perf/retract airplane, the picture changes drastically.

One plane I own now has a break even of about 30 hrs. But the kicker is I only own 1/10 of the airplane. If I owned the plane outright, it would be much cheaper to rent an equivalent airplane 30 hrs a yr by a factor of about 10.