How to build a better Swift?

Discussion in 'Aircraft Design / Aerodynamics / New Technology' started by Keshka, Dec 27, 2011.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Oct 17, 2012 #41

Aircar

Aircar

Aircar

Banned

Thanks for the link Jarno (even better would be the aborted first flight attempts showing the ground looping :) --which disclose the problem with wing clearence and the low inertias -to their credit the Akafliegers posted the problematic flights as well as the end result . They still had problems on aerotow with the downwash of the tug tending to de stabilize the aircraft (reducing the angle of attack of the centre part of the wing and hence 'removing' wash out from the glider --in Australia we 'low tow' and stay under the tug's slipstream unlike the high tow used in Europe and the US so this would be presumably worse . [As an aside - my first flight in Germany was in the werkgruppe std .Cirrus -- never flown a Std Cirrus before and only got a very rudimentary briefing so I just did the usual and stayed in low tow which was apparently an emergency signal and I got towed around at tree top height until I cottoned on and went to high tow -- I came back a couple of hours later and nobody even commented ... I was told that it would be too hard to even get to fly in Germany first off but after presenting myself and logbook to the control tower at Hahnweide they gave me a luftfahrtshein without any hassle at all and a vague indication of where the Stuttgart approach zone was to avoid --I expected a check ride in a two seater or something but got dumped in the std cirrus and told I could fly it "so lange du wilst" . Also had never done any slope soaring before let alone with thirty or more other aircraft on the same ridge (Teck) so learnt fast .]

The problem with tailess gliders is not always just how they behave in the air but what happens on take off and even more so on outlanding -- landing in a tall crop for example could be more than just exciting . We just had a motorglider accident here --a picture in the paper shows the aircraft belly up which is uncharacteristic of sailplane accidents but the tractor engine and conventional gear explain why --looks like it might be a Pipistrel Sinus or Dimona (only slight injuries happily)

Forward sweep might be a solution provided the aeroelastics can be solved --the mildly forward swept Genesis is as good as the other tailed gliders it seems (and is semi tailed if it is being exact ) -- several highly forward swept gliders have failed --the Akaflieg Darmstadt "QuoVadis" as one example and the difficulties the SB13 had with flutter suppression and handling with aft sweep give cause for even more concern. The tailoring of the SB 13 to avoid flutter and placement of the spar far forward at the tips can result in control reversal in the extreme --the 'aeroisoclonic' (constant angle - under bending) such as the Short Sherpa was meant to avoid the instability that can result if the wing is too compliant (the spar is further AFT at the tips to counter the twist due to bending ) All in all the structural interactions in a pure flying wing and the ground handling habits are a big concern and reason enough to stick with conventionality - or try something else..

2. Oct 17, 2012 #42

Aircar

Aircar

Aircar

Banned

Postscript - Apologies to Jarno (when I took another look at the SB13 link lo and behold the aborted first winch launch attempt [windenstart] and the first aerotow attempt [erstflug] came up -- the flight off snow seemed a bit unwise even if just from white out , Both attempts end in ground loops and the pitch up puts the wing tip closer to the ground plus exposes a lot of the wing to catching something like grass or snow --for some reason the frame is wider than on the link I firstgot and more of the ground loop is visible --it is hard to exactly pin down the initiator of the yaw motion but it clearly is only very little resisted once underway . The geometry imposed by the needs of stability is not conducive to good ground handling and this has been a common issue with aft swept flying wings --in the 1952 world contest a Horten wing was entered and it too suffered ground loop damage -- the Karlsruhe design could be an improvement if they have absorbed the lessons of the SB 13 (or the earlier FS26 also elevator controlled 'tailless' design that was declared to be unsatisfactory ("es steht im die ecke") -'it stays in the corner' as they said of it --there was no FS27 but the next in line ,the powerplane FS 28 ,was in many ways very advanced but also unsatisfactory for other reasons (and overweight) -- some recent revivals of very similar concepts and for example Jay (Kemp's) avatar embody closely related ideas (and HITC's twin boom design has some family traits in common . Model flying wings seem easy to get 'right' in a wide range of parameters unlike their full size brethren and some amateur designs seem to avoid the issues that plagued the university or professional projects (for example the old FLAC - Foot launched air cycle of the 1970s --maybe it came closest to 'an improved swift' even if it preceeded the Swift by a good few years )

3. Oct 17, 2012 #43

ultralajt

ultralajt

ultralajt

Forward sweep flying wing is not good for footlaunchable glider!

Hang Glider pilots will understand why, and for others I will explain why.

When you stand at starting place (ramp or slope) forward sweept wing has no "wind vane" proprties. If wind dont blow direct into the nose of the glider it will not be stable and will rather yaw to the side oposite to the wind direction. If this happens just at the moment when you start to run down the launch slope, it could lead to the uncontrolled turn back around into the slope.
    Ordinary hang glider layout dont show such behaviour. It lifts the wing on the side of side wind, but it can be corrected, and nose is not yawing away from starting line.

Mitja

4. Oct 17, 2012 #44

henryk

henryk

henryk

5. Oct 17, 2012 #45

paul w

paul w

paul w

Rearward sweep doesn't mean you can't use pitch neutral flaps but yes, forward sweep would certainly help with wing tip clearance. I think a bigger challenge is getting a longer wheel base...edit-mind you I suppose that doesn't matter if you're foot launching!

6. Oct 26, 2012 #46

BBJCaptain

BBJCaptain

BBJCaptain

Aircar,

The nice thing about the Millennium is that I now have the ability to be picky about where I land. I always land on wheels so I just program in my choice of LZ's into my Flytec 6020 and thermal around until I have enough altitude to make the next LZ. With 12k under my but I have 30/35 miles of gas in the tank to find a safe LZ : )

The Millennium has 145 sq' of sail and with a wing loading of only 2.4 lbs per sq' ( at my chubby weight ) that's not much. The wing does flex but with the camera mounted at about 2/3's span on the D-tube you may not see much flex. Also I don't tend to put much more that 2 g's on the wing as I am just putting around in the sky.

The look of the aft pilot C/G is simply a product of a swept wing.

The cables don't actually hold up the hammock, they are there as a means for setup and maybe to keep the flex out of the 3" aluminum hang tubes. The cage is attached to the 4130 steel keel by 4130 tubing that is bolted to the 3' aluminum hang tubes. With the glider on it's back the hang cage is lifted up and swivels forward and up to about a 50 degree angle, then the two cables are attached at the back of the 3" tubes with a 3.5" pit pin to hold the cage in place. When you flip the glider over to finish the setup, it keeps the hang cage from collapsing. They are 1/4" and very strong. If you look in this video ( watch it on 720p HD ) you can see that as I am moving around the cables are slack and have no load even in flight. The 4130 vertical tubing at the nose and about mid hang cage have all the load.

Also the Millennium is a breeze to launch in any kind of wind about 18mph. If the wind is 5mph+ the wing flies it self as you walk and there is minimal weight on your shoulders. In this video it is blowing in at 22mph.

Sunset Cruise - YouTube

Rolla

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
    flyinut likes this.
  7. Oct 31, 2012 #47

holger

holger

holger

Here is a Bright Star Millennium for sale on barnstormers.com: BARNSTORMERS.COM. Pretty!

Holger

8. Jan 26, 2015 #48

jcoyier

jcoyier

jcoyier

Dan,
    I've had a similar interest for much the same reasons. I gave up and decided to build a B-10. Since I'm in Dallas, OR, I'd be very interested to find out if you ever went ahead and started a build. My B-10 is being built at the EAA shop in Independence, OR.
    John

9. Mar 26, 2015 #49

fltjnky501

fltjnky501

fltjnky501

10. Oct 1, 2015 #50

Michael Kang

Michael Kang

Michael Kang

Dear Sir:

I would like to have someone build me some front-spar/leading-edges similar to the impact D-tube shown. Who and where could I contact? Do you know the price and approx wt/ft of this kind of D-tube?
    Thanks a lot.

Michael Kang
    pckkang@yahoo.com
    281-364-9908 (USA)

11. Oct 8, 2015 #51

jwmflying14

jwmflying14

jwmflying14

A little late to the discussion (Okay, really late), however I believe we are chasing the same goal. Mine is entirely a thought experiment as of now, where as you seem to have time and the required funds to actually begin the build.

I too see the Swift as a great airframe, however potentially outdated. There are better wings/foot launch sailplanes out there (primarily the Archaeopteryx), however as you had mentioned, they limit flying areas. Whether it be a wing span limitation or tail boom clearance. In the mean time, it seems as if (one of) the only potential way(s) to make any significant improvements on the swift would be primarily in the reduction of trim drag, and the use of higher lift, higher efficiency foils (or of course higher aspect ratio, which we have both deemed would be a limiting factor in operating areas). Even the high end rigid wings are reducing trim drag (Atos and Impact) by destabilizing the wing (slightly) and adding a horizontal. This being said, with a well faired harness and or pod, both the Atos (specifically the VR+, which has an in-flight adjustable tail) and Impact are achieving similar L/D figures as the Swift (20-24). This is the point where I began to think about a tandem/box wing configuration. The idea being that you could use better airfoils (usually coupled with a higher pitching moment), you could reduce structural weight (in comparison to a high aspect design), and it would keep the tail/aft wing high off the ground on launch and landing (no more risk than your typical hang glider). In addition, the box wing would provide higher span efficiency when considering a wingspan constraint.

Anyways, it might be worth checking out, simply due to our similar performance interests, and design constraints. [Reduce the limitations of launch and landing, increase performance (L/D between 25-30), increased flight performance at and above typical flex wing and (potentially) rigid wing speeds, and reduce minimum sink.]

https://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/...22246-tandem-box-wing-foot-launch-glider.html

Sincerely,
    Justin

12. Jan 25, 2018 #52

jerhyn

jerhyn

jerhyn

Joined this thread way late. but thought I would ask if you found an aircraft that met your needs ?
    Around 1980 I bought n flew an american Aerolights Eagle. At the time about 4500.00 bucks.
    I will find and scan some pics when I can find them.
    Technicaly it "could " foot launch, and met the weight limits for 103. Here in vegas we had 20 or so flying at the dry lakes and Jean ridge
    so when I saw BBJCAPTAIN cruizing vid I instantly knew the terrain.
    Jerry

Ps. I found a pic of my model "rainbow" Eagle on google, this one isn't mine, but same engine, sail colors.
    eagle.jpg

13. Jan 26, 2018 #53

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

You'll have trouble coming up with much improvement on the laminar rooftop airfoil that the SWIFT uses.

14. Jan 26, 2018 #54

Battler Britton

Battler Britton

Battler Britton

OK....very late too..:gig:

about cloth wing extention...an other way to extend!

two early french design, the blue one still exist in a museum!

14189728500_263a93dc71_b.jpg 14455.jpg

19d6b238adcafd3e8ea915aa8aedc030.jpg b0dcb23212d870429cb61d292816aeff.jpg

cluttonfred and Topaz like this.
  15. Jan 26, 2018 #55

Battler Britton

Battler Britton

Battler Britton

4576Z.jpg

and, my all time favorite, foldable in a minute, but I can;t find news about this old concept...:cry:

piccardeureka2.jpg

cluttonfred likes this.
  16. Jan 26, 2018 #56

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

Super Moderator

Interesting. Another I've never seen before, and the most-pronounced "reverse sesquiplane" I've seen. Looking at the shot with the flaps retracted, you sure hope the flaps don't ever get stuck. Between the tiny wing area and the Reynold's Number at which those wings must be operating at landing speeds, I'd imagine landing in an emergency with the flaps retracted would be... "exciting"! :speechles

Battler Britton likes this.
  17. Jan 26, 2018 #57

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

Don't cry BB! I found these pics of what appear to be pages from an old sport and ultralight aviation directory.

Piccard Eureka Page 1.jpg Piccard Eureka Page 2.jpg Piccard Eureka Page 3.jpg

Marc W and Battler Britton like this.
  18. Jan 26, 2018 #58

Battler Britton

Battler Britton

Battler Britton

thank you VERY much, Matthew, it is more than I ever found!

I love this kind of design, light , small...very small ! foldable enough for all we all need , an afordable cute aircraft for sunrise/sunset flight....

hey...a new thread title..AWAN....All We All Need!

19. Jan 26, 2018 #59

Battler Britton

Battler Britton

Battler Britton

two more, Topaz..

you are right, I can't imagine a landing without flaps!!

216b10.jpg

afc1ca036c3666f3f2e7a984d18b34d9--jacques-variables.jpg

20. Jan 26, 2018 #60

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

Ooooh, I like that. Enlarge it a bit and you have a folding 103.

I wonder if the Piccard family has any white sheep?