How to Balance Tires

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Turd Ferguson

Start by installing the new tires and tubes correctly. Line up the light spot on the tube with the heavy spot on the tire, etc. Mount that one the wheel to achieve best static balance.

cheapracer

Log Member
An old bush trick if you don't have access to modern balancers, is to spin and add weight on one side until it spins reasonably well and stops in random places, then split the weight to both sides.

HomeBuilt101

Start by installing the new tires and tubes correctly. Line up the light spot on the tube with the heavy spot on the tire, etc. Mount that one the wheel to achieve best static balance.

Turd, can you please elaborate? This is good information however I do not understand? Is there a light spot on the rim and if so how do you identify it?

Same thing with the tire, how does one determine where the heavy spot on the tire is by looking at it?

Turd Ferguson

Turd, can you please elaborate? This is good information however I do not understand? Is there a light spot on the rim and if so how do you identify it?

Same thing with the tire, how does one determine where the heavy spot on the tire is by looking at it?
A red dot or triangle is placed on the sidewall of the tire across from the heaviest point on the tire. A tube has a yellow stripe at the heaviest point on the tube. So when mounting, align the yellow stripe on tube with red balance spot on tire. If there is no yellow stripe on tube, align red dot on tire with valve stem. That will minimize and usually eliminate the need to add weight to balance the wheel assembly.

Dan Thomas

GA airplanes usually only get a static wheel balance, which is why nosewheel shimmy is such a problem. Nosewheels need dynamic wheel balancing, the same as automobiles get every time a tire is replaced or repaired. But just try to find a machine to do aircraft wheels. Can't. I once modified an ancient dynamic balancer to do the trick and am trying to build one now, from scratch, to do the job.

kent Ashton

For videos, Google site:youtube.com balance aircraft tires

or Google balance aircraft tires for non-videos

Matt G.

For videos, Google site:youtube.com balance aircraft tires

or Google balance aircraft tires for non-videos
Kent, did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning? 3 snarky, non-helpful "answers" telling some new guy to go google something...

At least now I know how to answer any question you ask in the future :gig:

kent Ashton

Kent, did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning? 3 snarky, non-helpful "answers" telling some new guy to go google something...
What!? non-helpful? I'm crushed. Those vids show exactly how to change and balance an airplane tire. That is a quality, snark-free answer. He should be paypaling me for that answer. :)

"When you give a man a fish, he eats for a day.
When you teach a man to fish, he eats forever."