Quantcast

How to answer questions for a medical!

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Pilot-34

I have a young friend who is this starting to fly.
When he was 17 or 18 he lost his drivers license and had to take a drivers reeducation class
He was convicted of a felony for having sex with a minor when he was 21 although the conviction came a few years later
is taking high blood pressure medication
It’s been over 15 years since he’s been in any legal trouble he serveD no time and has paid his fine a good 15 years ago
No problems except the high blood pressure medicine since then
Is there any particular ways that he should word his answers to the questions on the medical question is there any particular strategy that will help him get his license?

TFF

For blood pressure he needs to talk to a medical examiner first as a consultation. Don't just try and get a medical. May require extra Dr visits for paper trail. As for the other stuff, he will need backup paperwork on that too. Might be best for him to join the AOPA and use their law help. I doubt anything is a No, but he will have extra hoops to jump.

Pilot-34

Lol. With all the hoops that the FAA has to jump through all pilots should be in great condition!

Turd Ferguson

answer very carefully! Many BP meds are permitted, some are not. He may need to switch meds if he is on one that is not approved. Need to find out before the application is executed.

How did he lose his drivers license? Alcohol related? If so, that's going to be a problem.

cblink.007

I have a young friend who is this starting to fly.
When he was 17 or 18 he lost his drivers license and had to take a drivers reeducation class
He was convicted of a felony for having sex with a minor when he was 21 although the conviction came a few years later
is taking high blood pressure medication
It’s been over 15 years since he’s been in any legal trouble he serveD no time and has paid his fine a good 15 years ago
No problems except the high blood pressure medicine since then
Is there any particular ways that he should word his answers to the questions on the medical question is there any particular strategy that will help him get his license?
@TFF made the best suggestion. He can either join AOPA or the EAA and take advantage of their legal assistance services.

Personally, I would recommend EAA. I was an AOPA member for close to 20 years and made the switch to EAA. Much better bang for the buck. AOPA is nothing more than a PAC that will constantly ask you for donations nowadays. Glad I made the switch!

Also, with respect to approved medications, here is a reliable source:

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
There is a forum for medical issues on the Pilots of America forum, you can even post anonymously. There are a couple of senior AMEs who can help with advice. If BP is well controlled with one of the approved meds, no problem, he needs documentation from his primary physician BEFORE going in to see the AME. Alcohol or drug arrests are the biggie. Remember if he fails the medical he can't even fly as a sport pilot.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Even with taking an approved BP meds, for me the FAA was wanting an update from my doctor every 3 or 4 months no-stop. My BP without the Med is low enough to pass the class 3, but doc wanted me on the BP meds for long term health. My last Doc visit, he said, if I wanted, I could pass a class 2. No thanks. I think the FAA would like everyone over 70 years old out of the air. Remember Bob Hoover.

Hephaestus

And since I think op is up here in canuckistan...

Check the transport Canada website. List of disallowed meds is there... Talk to GP he'll have a very good idea if what does/doesn't fly and will need to be done or just unobtainable.

Dan Thomas

And since I think op is up here in canuckistan...

Check the transport Canada website. List of disallowed meds is there... Talk to GP he'll have a very good idea if what does/doesn't fly and will need to be done or just unobtainable.
Yeah, and don't bother with TC's search engine. It's a joke. Even the TC staff use Google to find stuff on their own website.

imacfii

My answer, if in the U.S., would be called a Sport Pilot Certificate ...
You can always consult an AME with the intention of seeing if you can qualify for a medical. You are not applying for a medical, you are applying to see if you can pass one or not. If you pass the application to see if you qualify, then you ask the AME to provide the medical. If you dont pass the application to qualify for the medical, you havent failed the medical, you have merely not acheived the level of qualifications that you need to meet in order to pass.... Check with the AME to see if you can apply to qualify... Some AMEs will tell you to get lost, but some won't...

Riggerrob

Dear pwood66889,
Too true.
I watched a friend break his leg parachuting and go to the hospital.
A few months later, he was back flying. He said it was easy to renew his Canadian commercial pilot medical because he never told the (Transport Canada certified) doctor about his leg fracture.
Be careful what you tell Transport Canada. If you tell the whole truth, TC will find an excuse to punish you.
Guess how I learned that lesson?

Hephaestus

Dear pwood66889,
Too true.
I watched a friend break his leg parachuting and go to the hospital.
A few months later, he was back flying. He said it was easy to renew his Canadian commercial pilot medical because he never told the (Transport Canada certified) doctor about his leg fracture.
Be careful what you tell Transport Canada. If you tell the whole truth, TC will find an excuse to punish you.
Guess how I learned that lesson?
There is also the others... My AME knew of the testing, passed. Some young attending at the hospital a few months later (admitted for tests to monitor) saw the note in my file about having a pilots license.

He reported it.

1yr and 20k$ish to at least get RPP back.

Pilot-34

The young man is in the USA

It sounds like Canada has a difficult physical

TFF

The Affordable Care act made a big data base with the intention of drs knowing more to give a better diagnosis. And to help insurance. The FAA does not have access to that database. You sign it away when you get your medical. The OP needs to find out how far his friend wants to go and aircraft he will have access to. That will have a big bearing on license necessity.

pwood66889

The Affordable Care act made a big data base with the intention of drs knowing more to give a better diagnosis. And to help insurance.....
Well, there was the instance when the FAA looked at the Social (in)Security database to see who had medicals and were also on disability... Jes' saying.

TFF

All that data is at their fingertips in regular gov databases. Details are not. I know you go to the grocery store, but I don’t know what’s in the fridge without you allowing that info.