How much height do floats add to a plane?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

How much extra height do floats add to a plane?

Example: I was looking at building a Zenith 801. The plane is 10' tall. How tall will it be if I put floats on it?

This is important in how tall of a hangar door I need.

Swampyankee

Example: I was looking at building a Zenith 801. The plane is 10' tall. How tall will it be if I put floats on it?

On amphibious floats? Probably another 3 ft, but you should probably talk to the people at Zenith.

Swampyankee

There's a Caravan on amphibious floats that operates out of the local airport. I think it's about as tall as a 737. A Caravan is not tiny to start with, and the amphibious floats add a lot of height.

Battson

My plane is sharing a hangar with a Zenith STOL on amphibs at the moment. The tail is the highest point of course.

A 4m high door is heaps, you could probably get by with a 3.5m door. For the Americans, that is 12 foot is heaps - you might get by with 10 or 11ft.

narfi

He said an 801 which i think is the 4 place? and that the standard tail is 10ft.

+ a couple for the floats is up in the 12 or higher range not the 10-11 range, or am I confused?

Tiger Tim

It's going to vary from one airplane type to the next, but this is the closest to a fast answer I could find:

Q. How high will my plane be on Zenair floats?
A. In the case of the STOL CH 750, the rudder is raised approximately 2 feet and 4 inches (11 ft. total) when the aircraft is mounted on a set of #1450 amphibious floats. The struts provided in Zenair's generic rigging kits still need to be cut to size (length); aircraft height can therefore still be modified based on needs of particular installation (i.e. more prop clearance, etc.)

Taken from: http://www.zenairfloats.com/qa.html

Since the 801 is a bit bigger than the 750 I would budget for the plane to sit about 3 feet higher. Better still, contact Zenair and ask them yourself. Since they make the airplane kit and the float kit you want I can't imagine anyone more qualified to answer.

don january

Log Member
My "thoughts" are like this on the height of a plane with floats. One factor would depend on the float height it self. are they wide and thin? or tall and narrow? sitting on the water how loaded is your plane? If your talking about full amphib gear then you have wheel height to consider. The one's I have are approx. 13" from bottom of V-hull to upper plain add 24" for mounting comes out to around 3 ft. Add amphib and up the number goes unless your in the water of course. There I go "thoughting" again.:gig:

mcurcio1989

Not much to add of any value other than for posterity but keep in mind this will be a different story if it is a taildragger going on amphibious floats. Also this would be harder to do with a float plane but there are option if your hangar door is too low. You can make a trench for the gear to roll in to get it under the door. I have a buddy that did that with his home hangar to get his N3N's in.