Quantcast

How many of you guys fly RC Planes too?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I started building model aircraft in 1948 and RC in 1958. Never dreamed at that time I could get paid for it. Rats.

TFF

Anybody use hoop pine? I'm pretty sure that is what Home Depot clear pine is. I ripped some into 1/4x 1/4 and 1/2x1/4 to play with.

Tiger Tim

Anybody use hoop pine? I'm pretty sure that is what Home Depot clear pine is. I ripped some into 1/4x 1/4 and 1/2x1/4 to play with.
Let us know how it works out, lately I've been thinking of doing the same thing. I have this nagging idea to build a gigantic RC version of some classic old timer, like a Powerhouse or a Trenton Terror by at about double size.

Hephaestus

Heresy I know... wrong material but...

But the slowly as found on rcg is begging for a scale up and fits the bill ;) it's my kids favorite for terrorizing the animals in the yard.

There's also a big version of the old fogey.

Red Jensen

Just finished this one up for work and had a test hop last week. Fun! 60% scale Super Cub, 21' wing span, 230 lbs gross. Powered by a JetCat SPT-15 21 H.P. turbo prop.

Attachments

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
My SSSC ( Single Seat Super Cub) has 28' wing span. It's not much bigger. Powered by a 1835 cc, 60 hp, VW engine, hauls my 236 lbs. I really like your 60% Super Cub.

Attachments

Red Jensen

What ? You get to build airplanes for a living?

WOW, that looks nice. More info on the engine please.
Yeah, I run the Subscale Flight Research Lab at NASA Armstrong at Edwards AFB.

The engine is a single stage centrifugal flow model turbine engine. It is turned around with the exhaust facing forward turning a gearbox. It spins a 39" prop at about 5K. Its an off the shelf unit.
Motor install.jpg

Richard6

Yeah, I run the Subscale Flight Research Lab at NASA Armstrong at Edwards AFB.

The engine is a single stage centrifugal flow model turbine engine. It is turned around with the exhaust facing forward turning a gearbox. It spins a 39" prop at about 5K. Its an off the shelf unit.
So, if you don't mind me asking, what is the purpose of this aircraft?

Richard

Red Jensen

So, if you don't mind me asking, what is the purpose of this aircraft?

Richard

Hi Richard,

One thing to note is that this isn't just an R/C model it's really a UAS. It is equipped with a highly accurate autopilot system that uses differential GPS for enhanced navigational precision, ADS-b in/out, pitot/static system among other payloads. It also has the ability to generate all of its own electrical power (alternator), making it a fuel and go aircraft even charging its own internal back up batteries in flight. It carries enough fuel for 3+ hour missions and can operate 50+ miles from the ground station. With most of our aircraft we manually take off and land (R/C style) but the up and away flight is usually all on autopilot. One exception to that is the glider program linked below. While the tow plane can circle up to altitude on auto, the glider must be manually flown to station keep behind the tow plane. We do operate a few R/C only models, but by in large they all have some sort of autopilot on board.

This particular aircraft has two jobs. One is to be a tow plane for our air launch to orbit concept. https://www.nasa.gov/centers/armstrong/Features/TGALS_first_flight.html The glider has suffered from requirements creep taking the gross weight to 200 lbs. Our previous 170cc tow aircraft just wasn't cutting it anymore, we needed this for some more grunt. What better airplane to conduct tow operations with than a Super Cub right?

Its other job is to act as as "intruder" aircraft in manned vs. unmanned encounters. We are studying ways to integrate UAS into the national airspace safely. It will carry a miniature Ku band radar that will allow the UAS to "see and avoid" the manned aircraft.

I don't want to hog this thread too much, but if you have any other questions I'm happy to share. I'm very lucky to be able to make a nice living doing this. The reality though is it's about 10% R/C models and 90% other stuff that wouldn't be that familiar to the average modeler.

Cheers
Red