• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

How many layers of fibreglass

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Battson

Hi team,

How many layers of fibreglass will I need to get enough strength in my custom-made wingtips?
They are a standard hoerner shape for the Bearhawk Alpha wing, NACA 4412, depth about 10" and span about 15". I estimated they will see about 90N of lift each at 1.0g.

Obviously I want to use the least material necessary, to save weight. On advice from the aircraft's designer, I have started with 4 layers of 6oz cloth and used the stronger epoxy resin, including a heavy resin layer with mircoballoons instead of gelcoat. They have sanded up really nice and smooth. There's an extra layer of 2" glass tape around the edge to add strength where the screws will go through.
They are just slightly more flexible than I expected, so I wondered about strength.

If I need to add strength I can add chop strand mat, cloth, or foam plus cloth to create some structure on the inside. But I can't decide whether or not that's necessary. Advice appreciated.

Back