Quantcast

How many airplanes do we need?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Where there is a will, there is a way. Make holes in walls for wings to stick out.

ToddK

HBA Supporter
As I've read many times on this forum, decide on your mission. After stopping the build process on a CH-701 because it was getting in the way of other things that NEEDED to be done, I realized, I just want to fly. Short trips, by myself, with a friend, just flying without breaking the bank. I do however plan to fly to Airventure in 2021, bucket list thing you know. Decided on a Cessna 150, cruise at 100 mph, ha, if I'm lucky, so I just figure about 90 mph and deal with it, 5 to 6 gal an hr depending on cruise setting, that's cheap enough. I can always rent a 172 or a Champ, I'm checked out in both and I can even get some unususl attitude training in a Citabria if I want too, and probably will.
The trip to A/V from South Carolina will be long and slow but the journey is as important as the destination in my opinion. I have gathered some light weight camping gear and I'm on a mission to loose 30 lbs by then so I should be able to carry full fuel, that's a plus, although a 3 hr leg in a 150 is a bit of a stretch for an old guy but I'm not going to have a tight schedule anyway. Being retired and having an understanding wife is a great way to finish out my life. I have friends that have much nicer, faster, roomier aircraft and I do fly with them occasionally and it's great, but for my budget, the 150 gets me in the air anytime I want, weather permitting. One of my friends goes every year and flys the P 51 for an hour, he has a T 6 that he flys every week, I've got stick time in it also. When asked, why don't you just buy a P 51, he said, I get all I want once a year without the expence of owning it! Smart man, he knows his mission.
Bob, I just like to fly
The 150 is a great and often overlooked aircraft that is affordable in every sense of the word. It’s also well designed, well built, and safe. Had a chance to practically steal an old beater 150 a few years ago, and still regret not buying it. Somebody smarter then me once said if you want to fly, buy. If you want to build, build. Good advice.

TerryM76

HBA Supporter
Yes, I really need an airplane. Haven't been without an airplane for close to 50 years. I really do, just like a drug addict needs another fix. Yes, I really do.
Most of the time I have owned 2, one I'm flying and one I'm building.
At this time I own 2. The JMR Special and a plans built Zenith 600. For room in the hanger to put the JMR together I sold the SSSC. Really hated to sell it . The Zenith 600 is stored at my sons place. If I had room on my land I would have added on the the hanger, but that was out of the question. I also have my 1981 Chevy 3/4 ton truck in the hanger, my Dodge Carvan, MF farm tractor , the paint booth, the office and bathroom. Don't have room for 2 high wings, but I think I can get a high wing and a small low wing in the hanger. So thinking about bringing the Z-600 back home.
I'm guessing Pops MF tractor in the hangar is a Massey Ferguson....and my MF tractor is a Farmall....my wife says that I don't need any more airplanes......don't tell her that my plans include more.

Last edited:

Pilot-34

I'm guessing Pops MF tractor in the hangar is a Massey Furgeson....and my MF tractor is a Farmall....my wife says that I don't need any more airplanes......don't tell her that my plans include more.
Lol I live in farm country where about anything goes if it’s farm related.
So when a friend couldn’t get a oversized permit to move a Engineless Biplane he hung tarps on it and taped some plastic seats on the bottom wing and told the cops it was a shaded sunflower head picker.....

No hunny it’s not a plane it’s a high speed crab apple trimmer.....

Mark Z

A Champ and a 210 pretty much scratches my itch. I am building a CX-4 to scratch the building itch in my hangar plus, working with kids at school infects them with the aviation disease (we’re on our 5th year and 3rd RV-12).
This aviation disease is surely one where misery loves company. AE7F5F21-066F-4C43-9DD1-C9BF5B594E7D.jpeg

Speedboat100

So how many airplanes do you need? How many airplanes do I need?

Can someone build a kit that is slightly faster than a SR 71 and a little bit more economical than a quickie?

What are your missions and needs ,how many airplanes do you really need?
I think there is a bit challenge still left for the most !

But if you crack that code I bet NASA will hire you instantly or SpaceX or even Blue Origin....maybe Airbus.

I assume for the most one aerodyne is enough...sometimes too much.

Was it mr. Hemingway who said...you live around many beautiful aeroplanes, but for the loveliest your heart will forever stay.

Erik Snyman

Lol I live in farm country where about anything goes if it’s farm related.
So when a friend couldn’t get a oversized permit to move a Engineless Biplane he hung tarps on it and taped some plastic seats on the bottom wing and told the cops it was a shaded sunflower head picker.....

No hunny it’s not a plane it’s a high speed crab apple trimmer.....
We had an old C175 on the farm in Africa. When the GO-300 decided enough was enough, we swapped in a Chev V6 with a re-drive and lived happily ever after. When I left Africa, that C175 was still happily plotting along with the Chevy on it`s nose.... On a farm it either works, or you make a plan!!

Needles to say, the authorities were far, far away, and when you need a plane to work, you need it NOW...