Quantcast

How many airplanes do we need?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

rv7charlie

How about flying 500 miles in a "towable" aircraft. Then call Avis for a car with a hitch to get across the mountain pass weather and then drop the Avis car at the next airport with good weather and finish the trip?
You have better luck with the rental places than me. When I call, they'll rent me a trailer; they'll rent me a truck. Truck to pull a trailer? Nope.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
You have better luck with the rental places than me. When I call, they'll rent me a trailer; they'll rent me a truck. Truck to pull a trailer? Nope.
I guess you also need to carry a simple clamp on ball hitch for the rental car frame under the bumper. Truck and trailer cost is excessive. In fact, I asked the local UHaul company if I could rent a pickup and tow dolly or car trailer if my car breaks down on my next trip to Airventure. He said they don't usually have any dolly or car trailers on the lot.
I did get good service from Enterprise Car Rental last year. But I doubt they have a hitch.

cblink.007

Can someone build a kit that is slightly faster than a SR 71 and a little bit more economical than a quickie?
I remember seeing plans for that super cheap hypersonic Mach 8 atmosphere-skipping roadable amphibian powered by a single lawn mower engine for sale in the back of Popular Mechanics some years ago. I'll go look for it, and send you a copy if I find it. Supposedly can go anywhere in the world within an hour, and burns under 2 GPH! 🤣

But in all seriousness, Alaska to Illinois? Anchorage to Chicago is a tad under 2500 NM (2466 straight line to be exact). That is a haul...even for a modern passenger jet.

Last edited:

narfi

Log Member
But in all seriousness, Alaska to Illinois? Anchorage to Chicago is a tad under 2500 NM (2466 straight line to be exact). Any particular set of requirements (ie nonstop, useful load, speed, etc)? I only ask, because a colleague is conceptualizing a practical, speedy but economical long range 4 seater. Let me know!
in the realm of dreams.... thats too far for non stop no matter how fast you go, maybe 1k range +reserves?
Enough room that at least 3 do not feel squeezed in. (the 4th should be comfy for local sight seeing flights)
At least 750lbs of people and bags with full fuel. (each person can step on the scales with their bags up to 250 total)
Idealy passenger seat can fully recline and is cushioned enough for a well rested sleep. (not a fitfull uncomfortable edge of consciousness)
Fast enough to at least consider doing it in a single day even if that means up for a very early dark departure.

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
How about flying 500 miles in a "towable" aircraft. Then call Avis for a car with a hitch to get across the mountain pass weather and then drop the Avis car at the next airport with good weather and finish the trip?
It is likely better and less expensive to get the IFR rating. I haven’t seen many rental cars with a tow setup.

cblink.007

each person can step on the scales with their bags up to 250 total
250 pounds with bags for a long distance aircraft is very wishful thinking. We often use 325 for planning purposes in both the airline and military world, but what the hell...

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
Some need to start threads. Some need to reply. I only need one aircraft at a time. Except for the glider, I also needed a tow plane.

HBA Code of Conduct

1. Participate - Be yourself, have fun, invent, innovate, chat, plan, day-dream, and enjoy any other activity associated with this wonderful sport.

robertl

As I've read many times on this forum, decide on your mission. After stopping the build process on a CH-701 because it was getting in the way of other things that NEEDED to be done, I realized, I just want to fly. Short trips, by myself, with a friend, just flying without breaking the bank. I do however plan to fly to Airventure in 2021, bucket list thing you know. Decided on a Cessna 150, cruise at 100 mph, ha, if I'm lucky, so I just figure about 90 mph and deal with it, 5 to 6 gal an hr depending on cruise setting, that's cheap enough. I can always rent a 172 or a Champ, I'm checked out in both and I can even get some unususl attitude training in a Citabria if I want too, and probably will.
The trip to A/V from South Carolina will be long and slow but the journey is as important as the destination in my opinion. I have gathered some light weight camping gear and I'm on a mission to loose 30 lbs by then so I should be able to carry full fuel, that's a plus, although a 3 hr leg in a 150 is a bit of a stretch for an old guy but I'm not going to have a tight schedule anyway. Being retired and having an understanding wife is a great way to finish out my life. I have friends that have much nicer, faster, roomier aircraft and I do fly with them occasionally and it's great, but for my budget, the 150 gets me in the air anytime I want, weather permitting. One of my friends goes every year and flys the P 51 for an hour, he has a T 6 that he flys every week, I've got stick time in it also. When asked, why don't you just buy a P 51, he said, I get all I want once a year without the expence of owning it! Smart man, he knows his mission.
Bob, I just like to fly

rollerball

Unless you're a Kermit Weeks who can afford to keep a bunch of aircraft in a hangar plus a team of guys to look after them, ordinary joes like us can't really manage any more than 1 or 2. I've got two ultralights right now, one built for speed and longer journeys and the other for low and slow in the local area and neither is getting flown enough. Remember, to stay good aircraft need to have air under their wings regularly. Up to a few months ago I had three because I rebuilt another low-and-slow from two damaged ones and I found it impossible with a normal busy life to find the time to fly all three of them enough. There just aren't enough days in the week let alone good, flyable ones. And remember that all the aircraft in your 'fleet' need to be looked after and kept airworthy even when they're parked in your hangar, or in my case, barn. So my advice is OK, smile and dream about having a whole bunch of aircraft in your own hangar in your back garden, but unless you are about to scoop the Lotto just keep it as a dream and don't try to turn it into reality. Oh, and unless you're John Travolta or Harrison Ford that is.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Until yesterday I had three, now I'm down to two. I'm already having withdrawal symptoms.

Almost every dedicated pilot wants more than one airplane. Just like every dedicated car person wants a sportscar and a minivan and a luxury bling-mobile. How many cameras do most (moderately engaged hobbyist-level) photographers have?

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
Just ask Jay Leno "How many cars do you need?"

Then ask what is the difference between "need" and "can afford". I doubt that there is one in ten thousand people (in the US) that need an airplane. Nine out of ten aircraft owners do not need the airplane.

If you happen to be a pilot, it is nice to have an airplane, if you can afford it.

That's my opinion. Your opinion may vary.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Just ask Jay Leno "How many cars do you need?"

Then ask what is the difference between "need" and "can afford". I doubt that there is one in ten thousand people (in the US) that need an airplane. Nine out of ten aircraft owners do not need the airplane.

If you happen to be a pilot, it is nice to have an airplane, if you can afford it.

That's my opinion. Your opinion may vary.
Yes, I really need an airplane. Haven't been without an airplane for close to 50 years. I really do, just like a drug addict needs another fix. Yes, I really do.
Most of the time I have owned 2, one I'm flying and one I'm building.
At this time I own 2. The JMR Special and a plans built Zenith 600. For room in the hanger to put the JMR together I sold the SSSC. Really hated to sell it . The Zenith 600 is stored at my sons place. If I had room on my land I would have added on the the hanger, but that was out of the question. I also have my 1981 Chevy 3/4 ton truck in the hanger, my Dodge Carvan, MF farm tractor , the paint booth, the office and bathroom. Don't have room for 2 high wings, but I think I can get a high wing and a small low wing in the hanger. So thinking about bringing the Z-600 back home.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
I can solve your problem Pops, just use the same logic drug addicts and meth labs use. Knock out the bathroom walls and fixtures for more "laboratory" space. Go outside to pee.

Done!