Quantcast

How many airplanes do we need?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Pilot-34

So how many airplanes do you need? How many airplanes do I need? They saying you should buy the airplane it fits your mission so is there one airplane that will fit my mission or do I need more than one is there one airplane it will fit your mission or do you need more than one?
So how many airplanes do you need? How many airplanes do I need? They saying you should buy the airplane that fits your mission so is there a one airplane that will fit my mission or do I need more than one is there one airplane it will fit your mission or do you need more than one?

Mission number one flight from Illinois to Alaska fast economical transportation.
Can someone build a kit that is slightly faster than a SR 71 and a little bit more economical than a quickie?

Mission number two cheap holes in the sky? Seems like a lot of flying I do its so that I can fly, trying to stay proficient on short off airport landings ,Instrument practice flights because I just have to get out of the house
Mission number three the Alaska flyer the ability to get four of us fat friends up in the air and out to the campground extra points if I have the ability to take my camping gear with me on the same flight and once again the ability to land and takeoff remote off airport places.
Mission number four ,the Alaska explorer just me and a few hundred pound camping gear in the ability to land the most possible places.

Can you get this list down to less than four airplanes or do I really need six or seven?

What are your missions and needs ,how many airplanes do you really need?

This is also an excellent place to tell your personal story of how l you’re need to haul a moose out of the wilderness lead you to buy a Lear 23

Just a good place to put the decision Chain And random opportunitiesthat lead you to current or past experiences

narfi

Log Member
Mission number one flight from Illinois to Alaska fast economical transportation.
hmm.... I need one that goes from Alaska to the east coast........ Also fast and economical, but in addition to that I need luxurious comfort for my wife and family.

Pilot-34

hmm.... I need one that goes from Alaska to the east coast........ Also fast and economical, but in addition to that I need luxurious comfort for my wife and family.
Oh I like that requirement for comfort and luxury I’m not sure if the current airplane I’m using for that Currenty qualifies but I’m sure that if I move up to first class the 737 Alaska airlines supplies me a seat on would probably qualify

Pilot-34

In my case the need for speed seems to be mostly a function of the misery Index
In my flights to Alaska even though it is shorter and quicker the direct flight from Chicago to Anchorage that takes six hours is not a big draw over the two 4 hour flights from Chicago to Seattle and then from Seattle to Anchorage.

It took me a while to realize with the misery Index the average commercial airplane particularly the economy seating on Alaska airlines dictates that a four hour flight is about enough and then people need a break
I am suspicious that if the conditions were better the six hour flight would be far more acceptable
How does that relate to us here on Homebuilt aircraft?
Simple how many wives and family are willing to sit in a seat 16 inches wide with barely enough space to change their mind for 16 hours at a time?
But give them a plane or they can get up take a walk laydown take a nap watch TV read a book play video games Use the toilet in comfort Walk down to the cafeteria for refreshments and they will sit on that thing for days at a time.
For long flights should we designed more for comfort than speed ?

TarDevil

All the airplanes I had were not much fun with the engine off. And I couldn't fish from them.
My boats are usually serviceable without power, and put dinner on the table (5 in the shed, another under construction).
I'm good flying someone else's airplane, for now.

Pilot-34

Sounds like you’ve got the wrong airplane

If meat on the table is the criteria it sounds like you need something you can hunt and fish from.

If you had that requirement to the preceding paragraph requirement for space and luxury seven is beginning to sound like the ultimate aircraft
Just imagine the fun of dropping the ramp and either trolling for trout for big game hunting with a SAW .

narfi

Log Member
yes my wife told me she wants to go 6-8 kts in comfort and picked the next build for us,

12notes

Lifetime Supporter
Log Member
One more than you have.
I disagree with this claim. I currently have zero planes and need at least 5 more. I need a cheap to fly local plane (working on this), a backwoods STOL plane, a glider, an aerobatics plane, and a fast cross country plane.

Once I have 5, there's a chance this number would go down, but I'm pretty sure I'll still need 5 more planes.

Crap, I forgot a seaplane. And a Reno racer.

Since I'm up to needing 7 planes, and haven't even finished this post, so I'd say there's no chance I'll ever only need one more.

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
So how many airplanes do you need? How many airplanes do I need? They say you should buy the airplane that fits your mission so is there one airplane that will fit my mission or do I need more than one?
Answer: ZERO - Last time I sold a plane I made a list and when I got to twenty five airplanes I gave up and realized how ridiculous the whole idea was. Like boating it is much better to know people with planes. Thank you all HBAers for being here for all of the other HBA members.

I currently have one and a half planes plus several ultralights. None of my aircraft has flown in the last year but I have logged over 20 hours in light planes since the first of the month (100 in the last 4 months) and 66 glider flights this season.

AIRPLANES SUCK! But I love them.

For those of you needing to fly from east of the Mississippi to Alaska, I have news for you. Roadable airplanes are here and are for real.

Remember how Molt Tayler demonstrated how a roadable airplane could leave components at the airport? Others have proposed rental of the flight components for the occasional long trip.

Your ideal aircraft is the state of the art roadable. You drive the roadable version of your choice to the airport where you pay $10 per day for storage. Then you lease a seat on the aircraft of your choice, likely a Boeing 737 or 767 and depending on your desires you fly nonstop to Anchorage or take a break or overnight in Seattle.

When you arrive at your destination you visit Avis to rent a second roadable component for transportion at your destination. This is a proven plan that works regardless of time of year or weather or climate change. Don't guck up a workable system, but do work to improve it.

AND BEST OF ALL - Like an ultralight FAR 103 pilot, no pilot training or pilot certificate is required and all CFR 14 Part 61 and 91 requirements can be disregarded.

BTW - It is also safer than driving!

Last edited:

rv7charlie

Well, I once drove from MS to Miami (2 days one way) for a 1/2 day conference, for which my employer would have bought me a plane ticket. So, airline times are irrelevant to me. Having said that, any of the faster homebuilts will often beat the airlines if your start and end points aren't airline hubs. Ex: It used to take my wife ~6-7 hours to get from MS to North Carolina by airline; the RV4 made it in about 4.5 hours, including one fuel stop. A -6, -7, or -8 could do it non-stop in about 3.5.

For me, most of the 2 seat RVs would check the cross country, cheap holes (5.3 gph puttering around @ 125-130 kts), instruments, and off-airport/backcountry strips (within reason, with the pants off).

For true STOL + truly fast cruise, start construction with some unobtainium.

For me, an RV7 & a Bearhawk would check all those boxes. Not saying it would satisfy every *want*, of course....

TFF

Just like golf clubs. One for the right shot. Each shot is different. I only own one airplane. I own 7 hobby cars including my first and second car. I’m being a good boy on only one project for airplanes at a time. Once done, I can have another. Still need to get more done on the cars.

Realistically, if you really are going to travel from Alaska to the lower 48. A Bonanza would be my first pick, and its normally the last plane I would pick. If you are going to fly 3500 miles in one way one trip, you need the easiest distance flyer you can fly. RV7 will do it with a little less weather capability at just more than half the fuel burn. More fun to fly just around. Weather will kill you trip wise. There is probably only 3-4 months of good, no major worry for weather. The rest of the year will be hit or miss. 3-4 months of miss.

Pen to paper, would owning a Champ in Alaska and another in Illinois and flying commercial Back and forth, be cheaper than flying a plane 3500 miles a direction for let’s say five years. I’m calculating the Bonanza gets 11 miles to the gallon. RV is around 16. You definitely can do better, but with headwinds and tailwinds, it’s probably close. Talking $900-1400 fuel bill one way.

In a slow aircraft, a friend flew a low range, had to carry ferry fuel in Canada , 80 mile an hour aircraft to Alaska this spring. It took 7 days to get home. No sight seeing; fuel/ bathroom break, hotel at night. Professional pilot, he’s seen the country before.

rbarnes

Fast plane
Fun plane
Water plane
Bush plane
WTF plane - maybe two or three of these
Family plane
6-9 ?

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
When you arrive at your destination you visit Avis to rent a second roadable component for transportion at your destination. This is a proven plan that works regardless of time of year or weather or climate change. Don't guck up a workable system, but do work to improve it.
How about flying 500 miles in a "towable" aircraft. Then call Avis for a car with a hitch to get across the mountain pass weather and then drop the Avis car at the next airport with good weather and finish the trip?