How long does Experimental certification take?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

AirAttack

How long is the process to receive airworthiness certification for Experimental classification?

TFF

Once you have built it, as fast as you can get a FAA or DAR to come look at it and review the paperwork.

AirAttack

Thank you, TFF. That makes sense. I'm assuming I should still budget a month or two for everything to be processed?

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I was ready in March 13, 2020 and because of the virus the FAA re-started inspections in July. My inspection was on July 7 , 2020. I started the N number request on Nov. 30, 2019.

Last edited:

TXFlyGuy

How long is a piece of string?

Sorry for the wise remark! It all depends. Many, many variables. How long does it take to build an airplane?

My DAR spent over 6 hours with me during the inspection.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
My FAA inspectors ( there was 2) spent about 3 hrs. They missed nothing on the airplane. I think they took more pictures than I have. Didn't want to see any building logs or any of the design work.

AirAttack

Awesome, thanks for those replies! I wasn't sure what to expect given the impact of COVID on timelines these days.

BJC

HBA Supporter
My TWTT Sportsman was totally open, and all the paperwork was on a table beside the airplane. Took about 2 1/2 hours. Note that the DAR had done many Sportsman airplanes before he did mine.

BJC