• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

How important is historic authenticity vs aerodynamics in a historic inspired design?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J.L. Frusha

Supporting Member
The inspiration for the ultralight I am trying to design and build is the Curtiss-Stinson Special, a special-order custom plane for Ms. Katherine Stinson (The Flying Schoolgirl).

The original had the fuselage of a Curtiss S-3 Speed Scout, two sets of the lower wings and the tailfeathers of a Curtiss JN4 'Jenny'.

For simplicities sake, I am already deviating to go without the flying wires, though I plan to keep the control horns and their bracing cables.

Thing is, in my biplane research, I have come across papers that show improved lift and reduced drag, using a swept upper wing, similar to the Pitts Special.

Poll here--> How important is authenticity when a design inspired by a classic airplane?

1654974438225.png

Last edited:
Back