Quantcast

How I make steel fittings

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Thought I’d do a short video series with my iPhone on how I make accurate steel fittings with precision holes etc and matched sets. Figured it might be fun for the people who have never worked with steel. These are the fuselage fittings for a Baby Ace on page 806 of the plans. They hold the landing gear, struts and pulleys.

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
The battery cable is genius.
There is a guy who does hi fi equipment reviews who wears the camera on his head so he has both hands. He will pull it down for closeups.
Using my iPhone saves me a ton of time because I can jut upload to YouTube straight up with no editing and bam, I’m done. It’s a new thing for me and I love the time savings.
So now I just need a way to hold it while both hands are working. I just watched my videos and the motion from moving around made me want to throw up. Haha. I need to solve that.

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I fixed the issue. Walmart, phone clamp for a car vent, $3.50 right off the China boat I suppose.
Gonna bend a sheet metal fitting up and clamp it to a tripod. Got a good feeling about this.

Deuelly

Log Member
Newer iPhones and and Android phones have a video stabilization setting that really helps. You should see if you have that option and that it's on.

Brandon

robertl

Using my iPhone saves me a ton of time because I can jut upload to YouTube straight up with no editing and bam, I’m done. It’s a new thing for me and I love the time savings.
So now I just need a way to hold it while both hands are working. I just watched my videos and the motion from moving around made me want to throw up. Haha. I need to solve that.
I have a novel idea, use a tripod !

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I have a novel idea, use a tripod !
Thanks for that revolutionary advice. The tripod wasn’t the issue, I have a tripod and use it. The issue was finding a way to put my phone on it while also being able to remove it quickly. I mentioned tripod in the first video I think.

I fabricated a mount for the tripod that does exactly that.

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
FOUR clock calipers? Good grief!
I suspect you’re being a jerk about the fact I have 4? I don’t know seems you added nothing constructive to the discussion so I’m forced to guess.

It took my Dad dying of cancer to inherit 2 of those, one of those two is from the 1970’s. The other 2 are broke cheap Chinese junk from Harbor Freight that I use as scribes.

Hopefully you can add something of value to the discussion so it actually helps others because that’s what’s really need here.

Mark Thompson

Wow little Scrapper I like what you are doing,but. if you keep throwing your calipers on the table all of them will be junk

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Wow little Scrapper I like what you are doing,but. if you keep throwing your calipers on the table all of them will be junk
I’d really like to keep the conversation on making parts instead of guessing about my tools and habits.

As I said earlier, these are junk and used as scribes. These reason they are pushed around on a bench is because they are already junk prior to having them on my bench. I have 3 others ones that are in boxes and kept safe, dust free, grit free and used as precise instruments. You just don’t see them.

Assumptions waste a lot of time. Let’s stay on topic and build stuff instead.

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Thanks for taking the time to make these, I always learn some new tricks from your videos. Hope you get inspired again soon!
Thank you! There’s a few people on this forum that inspire me so that’s what really keeps me going. Appreciate the kind comment.

I might do a video series on the tail group. Not sure. Although it’s a Baby Ace I’d like to do it in a general way that includes all tube and fabric airplanes so it’s useful to others.