• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

How I finished my open cockpit edge

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wally

When I got my Pitts project, one of the previous owners had done some sheet metal work on the fuselage. The top of the fuselage and turttle deck are complete and instrument panel is in.

I am sure most of you have seen open cockpit planes before and they usually have a nice rounded lip around it. I always wondered how they did that.

What I had to start with was a sharp sheet metal edge around the cockpit.

What I came up with worked pretty slick and may be adaptable to other planes needs so I thought I would share.

I used some 1/2 inch PVC electrical conduit. it was like a dollar for 10 feet. This is the rigid gray stuff. I also had a heat gun from years ago doing shrinkwrap packages too - like a hair dryer only hotter.

I used the heat gun to soften the conduit and slowly shaped it to match the cockpit edge contour. When it cooled I used a Dremel tool with one of the little discs to slit it along the full length. I was afraid it might spring open or unwrap but it didn't. I just slipped it onto the edge and used a little more heat gun heat to final shape it. It Looks really finished as-is. The color even matches the aluminum.

It really stiffened and supported the metal edge too.

I will probably add some small screws to hold it to the sheet metal and then cover it with leather or Nalgahide (as soon as they are in season again).

Wally

Back