how good a kawasaki 398cc works on a gyroplane

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Kawasaki 440 series engines have been used successfully on ultralights. I've never heard of a 398 but I suspect it might be too small for a gyro as they're pretty inefficient. Most gyros with happy owners seem to have 60+ HP.

-Dana

Have you any idea how successful censorship is on TV? Don't know the answer? Hm. Successful. Isn't it?

DangerZone

I have two kawasaki 398cc and I use to have a bensen with a vw engine and I want to now if those work.
Which Kawasaki engines do you have, the KLX ones, the ZXR400 or the old Z400, all three of them have 398ccm displacement but are totally different machines..?

greywuuf

Yes the Kawi most often used in the Gyro's would be the 2cyl, two stroke air cooled Sled engine. The only actual test I have seen is ONE Gyrobee ( a true 103 legal one) that ettempted to use one, he got it to fly but ended up putting a 447 Rotax on it in the end I believe. The issue is not the Horsepower per se, it is thrust. the gyrobee series for example tended to not perform acceptably with less than 40+ pounds of static thrust. In this case I think the redrive and prop matching finally became to much of a hassle in the end.