Quantcast

HOW FAR

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

flyranch

Mine would have been from near Atlanta to Sun-n-Fun. Took 2 FULL days. The wind was horrible and gusty. 5 gallons of fuel doesn't last long so I had to take an extra can of fuel as luggage and make a stop between airports to refuel (usually in a pasture of some sort). Only did it once a long time ago and drove all of the other times as ground crew for others that went. A trip like that is real hard without a ground crew for support. It took 3 changes of plugs in the 2 stroke 377.

And you can't fly straight line there through GA. Too many restricted flying zones.

If I can successfully get a longer range 4 stroke in my UL, I want to try to hop out to West Texas to the fly-in out there some day. Or maybe Oshkosh.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
I made a few relatively long journeys in my Taylorcraft (now within the LSA limits though the category didn't exist then), the longest being from New Jersey to Ohio for the T-Craft fly-in (a long day of flying each way with several stops. The UltraStar I'm flying now is a bit more limited, with the safe range about 50 miles with the legal 5 gallon fuel limit and few UL friendly airports with fuel available within that distance of my home field.

-Dana

A rolling stone .... kills worms

bmcj

HBA Supporter
The limits are only set by your level of determination. People have flown ultralights like the Quicksilver from coast-to-coast. I flew a 65 hp Luscombe from Los Angeles, California to Brownsville, Texas in just a bit over two days (Two days and a couple of hours, daylight only, on a 13 gallon tank with lots of stops). This Luscombe fits under today's LSA standards.

Bruce :)

PTAirco

A member of our local EAA chapter here in Corona, Walt, has flown an LSA two seat Quicksilver coast to coast (twice!) AND around the perimeter of USA. He has the sectionals with his route taped to his hangar wall - pretty impressive, and all at about 55mph.

bmcj

HBA Supporter
A member of our local EAA chapter here in Corona, Walt, has flown an LSA two seat Quicksilver coast to coast (twice!) AND around the perimeter of USA. He has the sectionals with his route taped to his hangar wall - pretty impressive, and all at about 55mph.

Walt is one of those I had in mind when I mentioned the Quicksilver coast-to-coast flights.

Bruce :)

Inverted Vantage

Formerly Unknown Target
I gotta ask, for those multi-day trips, do you guys sleep in hotels or right there on the field under the wing?

flyranch

I gotta ask, for those multi-day trips, do you guys sleep in hotels or right there on the field under the wing?
That really is going to depend on my support team and the airports where I land. If I am solo with no ground crew and tight budget, it is a lightweight tent at the plane. Sometimes I can get a ride to a cheap hotel for the night (a hot shower feels good). With a ground support team, it is almost always at a hotel.

Sun-n-Fun is tent by the plane or flightline (whether I fly or not).

Of course, the bones are getting older and the ground (or air mattress) is a lot more uncomfortable. It's taking a lot longer to get up in the mornings now.