How far are we from the perfect electric "homebuilt" ?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

rv7charlie

Speedboat100 said:
Comes very naturally when you have so many engines in e-planes...among other aspects.

I just love lifting fuselage conceps.

=L/D problem ...?!
IIRC, Barnaby Wainfan (Facetmobile), in a paper describing a NASA PAV candidate a/c, talked about the higher structural efficiency due to the thicker cross section saving so much weight that airframe size (wing area) can shrink saving even more weight, so that ultimately, it can offset much of the drag penalty. He posts here from time to time; maybe he'll comment.

Charlie

Last edited:

Speedboat100

Speedboat100 said:
Comes very naturally when you have so many engines in e-planes...among other aspects.

I just love lifting fuselage conceps.

IIRC, Barnaby Wainfain (Facetmobile), in a paper describing a NASA PAV candidate a/c, talked about the higher structural efficiency due to the thicker cross section saving so much weight that airframe size (wing area) can shrink saving even more weight, so that ultimately, it can offset much of the drag penalty. He posts here from time to time; maybe he'll comment.

Charlie

I would love that...weight savnig by putting the "useless" ( when considering most caeses for aerodynamical benefits ) fuselage into work was also the aim of De Monge...whose design was the Bugatti 100P.

Last edited:

blane.c

HBA Supporter
I still think some people have to compromise and make a hybrid to move forward in this area. As battery energy density improves you can rely less on the fossil fuel powered generator and eventually (hopefully) replace it entirely.

Speedboat100

I still think some people have to compromise and make a hybrid to move forward in this area. As battery energy density improves you can rely less on the fossil fuel powered generator and eventually (hopefully) replace it entirely.

Solar battery plane is a hybrid too.

----

Khai-3 looks sorta unmature.

Attachments

stanislavz

HBA Supporter
It all depends. For me it is quitness and reliability. Both much better than two stroke..

But for cross country, one small and detuned 4 stroke with magical 3kw of power is why not... But it needs an efficient airframe.

Addition. Was not able to find 4 stroke with pressure lubrication at mini size. Was looking into industrial one only. China 125cc scoter is no no for..

And i am.back into flying wing. Now considering Jim Marske Monarch. Maybe it looks weird, ant as sexy as swift to me, but forward swept wing is a thing. And no single word of bad handling.

Kevlar/carbon version if ok even for 115 kg with battery. 63kg empy, 6g for 90kg pilot...

And 1 to 19 glide ratio with open pilot.

Last edited: