How does it fly?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Tiger Tim

When are you tall guys going to learn you have to build your hight into all homebuilt airplanes
Sooner or later somebody should redraw (and verify the engineering of) a bunch of classic homebuilts about 10% larger than original. I imagine the sales would cover all the avgas they could ever burn.

BJC

HBA Supporter
I’ve never flown one, but I saw the original at Rockford or Oshkosh, and determined that my 6’ 2” body would not fit into the front seat. The back looked tight also.

BJC

TFF

I have not flown a Spezio, but I have sat in one. One of the best. It was the matching plane to my Starduster. My friend flew the Starduster, his wife flew the Spezio. He flipped the Starduster, so there was no more flying together. He ended up buying his and hers RV3s to replace the, I bought the Starduster project, but thought of buying the Spezio. It was very nice with three cockpit options, single with no opening for the front, two holes, and a bubble canopy. Folding wings. I could sit in it but it must have been made to plans. Tony Spezio is 5-4 and he designed it to fit him. As designed, the rudder peddles are behind the front seat instead of running where the hips of the front seater would be like in any other tandem . This plane would have required a bunch of work to fix. If you find one that has been normalized, taller people will fit. I know of someone who has a tall person one possibly for sale. The ailerons are heavy on the design from everyone I have talked too. If looks to fly like a sporty low wing Cub. Slow stable landings on my friends. If I fit I would have owned it, he gave it away practically because he was tired of paying hangar rent. Really sold it for nothing. Probably 200 hrs from built.

Victor Bravo

Anybody here flown the TEAM / Ison Airbike? I have always been fascinated with this little machine.

(I actually owned one briefly, never got to fly it. It had the 277 engine on it, which did not appear to producing enough oomph to compensate for my royal corpulence. I did one quick taxi test, hoping to get the tail up, but the tail was firmly planted on the ground, telling me that it needed a heavier engine as well. So I was going to look around for a 447 engine like many of the Airbikes have, but the wife took one look at it and promptly cashed in a major chip, followed by ordering me to sell it immediately.)

Another Airbike related question... has anyone looked at the wing structure to see how much structural reserve there is or isn't? I know some of the Airbikes qualified for Part 103, which means that they cannot be over-built. So if the structure was safe for a 103 aircraft, but many of the real-world Airbikes are LSA's that weigh 50 or 100 over the 103 weight... how much of the "safety reserve" is being used up by that extra weight?

Are the Airbike wings genunely identical to MiniMax wings, or Hi-Max wings, etc?

Just curious, I'm keeping my Kolb at the present moment, but a week or two ago when I threw a hissy fit and put the Kolb up for sale the Airbike was high on the list.

BJC

HBA Supporter
I was just watching some of Rockiedog2’s Legal Eagle videos, and wondered what RD2’s response to the following question would be, although the question is for everyone here.

What are the three general aviation / E-AB / ultralight airplanes that you have enjoyed or are enjoying flying the most? Why?

Thanks,

BJC

BJC

HBA Supporter
Can anyone here comment on or provide any flight characteristics of the Linn Mini Mustang?

Thanks,

BJC

Tiger Tim

Anyone here flown a Davis DA-5? I remember seeing this one all the time as a kid, it must have been parked in the corner of that hangar for a decade but I only saw it move once. And boy did it move! Always wondered what it was like to fly.

TFF

Has anyone flown the Dan Rhin modified Pitts, the S1-X. One for sale on Barnstormers. Not in my budget, but cheap for the type. Some are saying it’s a heavy dog, but I can’t believe it is as much as it’s not in Vogue.

12notes

Lifetime Supporter
Log Member

radfordc

Anybody here flown the TEAM / Ison Airbike? I have always been fascinated with this little machine.

(I actually owned one briefly, never got to fly it. It had the 277 engine on it, which did not appear to producing enough oomph to compensate for my royal corpulence. I did one quick taxi test, hoping to get the tail up, but the tail was firmly planted on the ground, telling me that it needed a heavier engine as well. So I was going to look around for a 447 engine like many of the Airbikes have, but the wife took one look at it and promptly cashed in a major chip, followed by ordering me to sell it immediately.)

Another Airbike related question... has anyone looked at the wing structure to see how much structural reserve there is or isn't? I know some of the Airbikes qualified for Part 103, which means that they cannot be over-built. So if the structure was safe for a 103 aircraft, but many of the real-world Airbikes are LSA's that weigh 50 or 100 over the 103 weight... how much of the "safety reserve" is being used up by that extra weight?

Are the Airbike wings genunely identical to MiniMax wings, or Hi-Max wings, etc?

Just curious, I'm keeping my Kolb at the present moment, but a week or two ago when I threw a hissy fit and put the Kolb up for sale the Airbike was high on the list.
You made a mistake getting rid of the Airbike! It's one of the best flying planes available. Flys much like a Taylorcraft only 10 mph slower... cruise at 55-60, stall at 30-35. I flew one for 250 hours and loved it.

As to strength I was told by the TEAM guys that the wings were tested to 7.5 G with no damage.

Reactions: BJC

BJC

HBA Supporter
You made a mistake getting rid of the Airbike! It's one of the best flying planes available. Flys much like a Taylorcraft only 10 mph slower... cruise at 55-60, stall at 30-35. I flew one for 250 hours and loved it.

As to strength I was told by the TEAM guys that the wings were tested to 7.5 G with no damage.
What engine did that Airbike use? What is the “standard” engine?

Thanks,

BJC

radfordc

Mine flew with a 447 mostly, except for the experiment I did with a 1/2 VW engine. The 447 is ideal for the plane; takeoff in 200 ft, climb at 700 fpm, top speed 70 mph. I flew my Airbike to Oshkosh from Kansas City once. A friend of mine has flown his to Oshkosh many times.

radfordc

Some elaboration on the story I was told: When I was building my Airbike I had a discussion with someone at the TEAM factory (maybe Harold Little?). He said that before the Airbike could be used in Germany it had to go through a complete stress test. The wings were supposed to be tested to destruction, but when they reached positive 7.5G they ended the test (I think because the support structure was starting to fail). The wings showed no sign of damage.

Other than how the lift struts are attached the Airbike and Minimax wings are the same.

BJC

HBA Supporter
Does anyone have any experience with the Hovey Wing Ding?

Will they fly out of ground effect?

Any video of one flying out of ground effect?

Thanks,

BJC