• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

How does a scale up affect airfoil center of lift?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjphilli

Supporting Member
Hi all,

Planning retirement dreams, next project after cub restoration complete. I've tried the search function last few weeks, just not seeing what I'm after.

Specific to George Spratt's use of the 23112 airfoil in his control wing flying boats and his terrestrial plane endeavors, he located the hinge point at 22.83% of the cord, 10.96" inches from the leading edge on a 48 inch chord, 12 ft wing panel (left and right mirror image, ~ 24 ft total span). Assuming the same ~70-80 MPH flight speed, would the center of lift remain at 22.83% were the wing scaled up in all dimensions to have a cord of 5 feet, and 15 ft wing panels span? Maybe my question simplified is "do airfoil characteristics scale" or are changes in say Reynolds number significant even at these slow speeds and "small change" from a 4 to a 5 foot cord... (You can tell I'm not an aeronautical engineer) :)

PS: Control wing plans are available in the public domain for download. Page 23 of the 79 page part-1 construction manual shows details, center of lift vs. speed, etc. in drawings. This is a fascinating read and a lot of history.

Thanks! - Phil

Back