How do you remove Camlok internal tooth washer 2600-LW

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

karmarepair

Supporting Member
The split washers are more expensive so I bought the non-split version, but now I find the Previous Builder had the studs a little too short in a few places, and I need to pull the retainers and the studs without destroying too much. I'm thinking reach under the internal teeth with a scribe and bend the tooth till it loses it's grrip, rotate, repeat. Angusnofangus, you have a better idea? Anybody?

karmarepair

Supporting Member
I'd think a thin, flat bladed screwdriver would do the trick, just working it around the perimeter to lift the washer.

Lift it just far enough and cut the washer with a pair of dykes.
I shoved the little fockers on so far there is no gap between the washers and the fiberglass cowling to insert said screwdriver.

I'll report back tomorrow night, after the day at the hangar.

Moral of this story: get the split kind, unless you are 150% sure you have the right grip length.

N804RV

Supporting Member
Its been a few years. But, if I remember right, the special camloc pliers can turn around and push the body of the camloc back through the washer. Takes a little futzing with. But, it worked for me way back when.

Angusnofangus

The split washers are more expensive so I bought the non-split version, but now I find the Previous Builder had the studs a little too short in a few places, and I need to pull the retainers and the studs without destroying too much. I'm thinking reach under the internal teeth with a scribe and bend the tooth till it loses it's grrip, rotate, repeat. Angusnofangus, you have a better idea? Anybody?
I always slid the tip of a small straight-slot screwdriver under them and pried up. Work around the stud until the retainer pops off. They are reusable, just put back on with the teeth pointed up.

Angusnofangus

I shoved the little fockers on so far there is no gap between the washers and the fiberglass cowling to insert said screwdriver.

I'll report back tomorrow night, after the day at the hangar.

Moral of this story: get the split kind, unless you are 150% sure you have the right grip length.
If you can't get under the retainer, support the head end of the Camlock with something like a socket and tap the tail end of it enough to get a purchase on the ring.

karmarepair

Supporting Member
It was too F'ing hot at the hangar to try and do anything hard, so I just puttered. Tried to figure out what grip length the camloks SHOULD be. Dang, these things are expensive, at least in certain sizes, and there seems to be no rhyme or reason.

Angusnofangus

It was too F'ing hot at the hangar to try and do anything hard, so I just puttered. Tried to figure out what grip length the camloks SHOULD be. Dang, these things are expensive, at least in certain sizes, and there seems to be no rhyme or reason.
Even when I was working and had access to a variety of grip lengths they always seemed to be either too long or too short. I totally get your frustration in this regard.

karmarepair

Supporting Member
Even when I was working and had access to a variety of grip lengths they always seemed to be either too long or too short. I totally get your frustration in this regard.
Are Southco or Dzus any better? Skybolt has adjustable receptacles, but they cost the earth. I think the lock washer itself alters the grip, at least the firm grip internally toothed washer I chose to use.

TFF

Southco suck. Dzus are in between. Ok with the ears so you don’t need a tool to release. Camlocs are the best once installed. Measuring grip with all of them suck.

Angusnofangus

Are Southco or Dzus any better? Skybolt has adjustable receptacles, but they cost the earth. I think the lock washer itself alters the grip, at least the firm grip internally toothed washer I chose to use.
I'm afraid that I'm not familiar with Southco. Dzus are a little more forgiving when it comes to grip length, but not much. The retainer doesn't affect grip length. Checking the grip length by basically doing a dry-run before installing the retainer can save you some frustration. That way you're not popping the retainer off and on.

Last edited: