Quantcast

How Do You Even Pilot a 450 MPH RC Plane?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

TFF

As long as you don't try to fly it close like a foamy, it would not be bad. 200 at a regular RC field is not that bad. If you had to land at 450 would be a different story.

Mark Schoening

HBA Supporter
WOW....havin' heart palpitations when it approached the cloud base---a second later and IFR... Bye, all gone. which way is UP? I had a remote control parachute to play with........rock with string and a hankie.....

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Having flown in Open Pylon contest flying in the mid 70's with a Super Tiger .60 racing engine on 40% nitro. It was as fast as I could handle and could't take my eye of it for a split second. My caller was a required team member. Wouldn't want to fly any RC model any faster.

TFF

I could get into a revision of Open/ Outlaw pylon like the old days. The new jets make speed too easy.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I could get into a revision of Open/ Outlaw pylon like the old days. The new jets make speed too easy.
It was fun and run (fly) what you brought. Also 5 flying together with a horse race start. I usually built 5 of my design at a time. My old friend that was my caller when pylon racing built the wings and I built the fuselages and tails. My design had a 8% airfoil and was just shy of 3 lbs. Point it straight up and let go of the wing and its off like a rocket straight up and out of sight in about 8-9 seconds. The contest fun-fly airplane was the same design but with a thicker airfoil and would be out of sight in about 10-11 seconds.
Had to stay in practice to keep up with it.

TFF

They had speed trap contests with a radar gun here. 60 powered F1 was a mighty beast in the day. Nashville was the pylon spot. The jets idle around the sky at 150; most the time no one goes faster as the fuel burn is high. They will go through 30 oz of fuel in 10-15 min of normal. Good thing they dont burn glow fuel.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
At one time I was practicing 15-20 hrs a week leading up to a contest. Mixed my own fuel at 5 gal at a time and stored in a 30 gal drum. Practiced on my own land close to the house, so I was able to get about 2 hrs each evening and most of the day on Sat and Sunday.

Highplains

40% nitro fuel is a hot sport fuel, but what we ran in Formula One was 65%. A .40 sized engine ran at 22,500 on the ground and unloaded 5,000 while burning 3 oz of fuel/minute. Straight line speed could touch 200 mph, though turning 180 degrees every 3 seconds dropped top speeds to about 175. Dry weight was 5 lbs, and a glow plug lasted one flight.

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
You guys realize that this is about 75 mph under the R/C speed record, right? And that the actual record was set by a glider,?

The flight below set the R/C world speed record in 2014 at 505 mph. That record has since been broken, and is in the 525 mph range. In other words, not far off the Rare Bear pace, but with no motor at all. The method is called dynamic soaring, and makes use of the wind gradient coming through the pass.

Last edited by a moderator:

don january

Log Member
At those speeds I think one of the must carry items to the flying field is a large plastic "garbage bag".:gig: and yes you should have a new RC plane being built at the small hanger at home to replace the one that got away from you. I have found rather its a Extra 300 or a Cub its just a matter of time and your checking to see if the engine or radio gear isn't damaged too bad for it can be used in the one on the bench.;)

TerryM76

HBA Supporter
A 70mph hopped up Stryker leaves me trembling on downwind runs......guess you need acclimation to ludicrous speeds.

Reactions: JWP

Iwerk

I'm curious if anyone has ever attempted to pilot a real aircraft using dynamic soaring?
The radio controlled glider community has reached speeds of 545 mph with no engines.

Speedboat100

Mach 1 + is impossible with a glider below 120 000 ft.

----

I have flown many times a Concorde in FS...you just lift the nose enough in flaring...and remember to droop down the nose cone....gravity takes care of the rest....and you watch the speed of course.

canardlover

40% nitro fuel is a hot sport fuel, but what we ran in Formula One was 65%. A .40 sized engine ran at 22,500 on the ground and unloaded 5,000 while burning 3 oz of fuel/minute. Straight line speed could touch 200 mph, though turning 180 degrees every 3 seconds dropped top speeds to about 175. Dry weight was 5 lbs, and a glow plug lasted one flight.
Was going to make this same clarification to the inaccurate statement above. Was also a player back in the day in the southeast, first FMPRA which became SEMPRA organisation. And you know , as pilots, we could have handled faster ship. I tell guys how our individual lap times were slightly over 6 seconds and they find that hard to believe. One of the nicest aspects of the now demised Form One class was the " pretty plane" judging and the pride we took in the building of our racers. Was runner up for Best Finish award at the '79 Nationals in Lincoln,Neb. Now everybody flies ARFs in Q40 and Q500 and FAI. I, unfortunately, remember the good old days !! Miss that event dearly.

Jeff