• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

How do you design a plane?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WurlyBird

So I originally came to this site thinking of simply moving some landing gear. Current aircraft issues aside, I have decided that I should design and build my own plane in the future. Due largely to talking to you lunatics this actually seems feasible. I am trying to find a good book or source which lays out how to design and calculate loads on a plane. I have Pazmany's book on design and it covers a lot of initial considerations but does not go into detail one of the actual design of a structure or component. I am also reading The Fundamentals of Sailplane Design and this as well does not appear to cover structural design, although it is also a wealth of information.

If I wanted to build and design a metal plane, where is a good place to start reading? My concern is how to design structures that are light but suitable. Control set up is another area where I would not want to over build or, god forbid, under build. Semi-monocoque construction looks to be pretty simple, as long as you have an understanding of where the forces will go, I just need to figure out those forces. Any help is appreciated.

Back