• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

How do you buy a used engine?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flienlow

How does one go about buying a used aircraft engine? I literally know nothing about the subject except that engines are expensive to buy and maintain.
I know there is something called TBO (
Time Between Overhauls) and engines can only be used for so long until they need TBO ie.2000-2400hrs.
I know there is Certified Engines such as Lycoming, but Lycoming also makes engines that are not certified?
I know that some engines experience a prop strike and that is bad Juju.

Everyone talks about barnstormers like there is an abundant supply engines there and they rain from the ceiling when you log on, but I never seem to find them. And how do you know that engine you are looking at doesn’t have broke crank in it, over TBO, or god knows what?

How do you value an engine? Do you take new cost and divide by TBO hours and figure out a cost/hr (or hours remaining) to determine what an engines residual value is worth?

How do you determine the difference in O-200X vs. O-200Y model?

In closing, I have determined that for me I need an actual Aircraft engine for my proposed plane, but I have also determined that a new one doesn’t fit my budget. --Hence the need for a used engine. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Back