• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

How do I Make a Sharp Bend in 4130 Tubing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Kay

Hi Guys;

I did a search on this topic, in this forum, but diodn't find what I was looking for. Although, I admit to not looking through every thread that popped up, but, I tried.

So, I know there has been a lot said about welding and bending 4130 tubing, but I'd like to know the best way to create a fairly sharp bend in a localized spot, in Chrome-Moly tubing. The best application example I can give, would be where the cockpit section ends, and starts to taper toward the tail. In many designs, you see a very obvious bend in the tubing at this location.

Let's assume I'm using 5/8 or 3/4 OD tubing with a .049 wall. Also assume for the moment, that I make the entire fuselage frame out of this size of tubing.

So, what's the best way to achieve this? Do you heat the tubing cherry red, or dull red, and then bend over some form? Or would this kill the properties of the steel too much?

I would assume that you would avoid doing a simple butt joint a the bend location. I can't see that being very strong.

Or, is this tubing maliable enough to simply bend over a form, to the desired angle, at room temperature?

Thanks for any replies. Tom.

Back