• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

How do I know if a Transponder is compatible with ADS-B

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcurcio1989

I don't even know if that is the right way to ask this question or not but here is what I am looking to do. I have two airplanes and neither have transponders.

First plane is an Aventura 2 Amphib. This obviously isn't a cross country machine and I don't fly into any airspace where a transponder is required. One exception to that is Mode C veil - I would really like to be able to fly into Detroit and Chicago's mode C veils. I would like to get basically the cheapest used transponder I can find that will allow me in a few years to ad ADS-B out if I decided to.

Second plane is a Quickie Q200. I just picked this up as a sort of project. It has 230 hours on it but hadn't been flown in a while and needed a bit of a facelift. The PO never had any electronics - not even lights or a transceiver. This is obviously a cross country machine so I definitely need the transponde. I again want to get into a inexpensive used transponder and I will be adding ADS-B out in a year or two.

The issue is as I am looking at used transponders it is very hard to determine which ones will be compatible with ADS-B out. Looking for any advice on hoe to take care of this without braking the bank.

Back