How did you pick your airplane?

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by cdlwingnut, Mar 27, 2017.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Mar 27, 2017 #1

cdlwingnut

cdlwingnut

cdlwingnut

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

For those who have built or are building an aircraft. What did you build or are building and how did you choose your airplane.
    example what criteria did you use such as cost, speed, ease of build, and such.

I will go first, I am building a Ragwing Ultra-Piet. I chose this because it is low cost, it's plans built so i can self finance it. It is built from wood which I am familiar with and have tools for. It's a project small enough that i an pretty sure i can complete. And mostly it looks like a fun airplane to fly on a nice summer evening.

who's next.

2. Mar 27, 2017 #2

don january

don january

don january

Back in 2009 I found my KR-2 and Taylor-mono plane but I should say they found me! I was in no need of a aircraft but some thing drawn me into a add for a craft for sale. It was like these planes were lost in the cracks and for some reason I was the one who found their location or should I say chose to go further in the pursuit to find there condition. It wasn't about cost, I loaded up my Wagoner and headed east to Wis. I found the girls in a storage place wanting a new home, getting stripped more every week. Call me weird but I think maybe a home built has a bit of soul of it's own. To me it don't matter if the plane is built of what ever type there is, you must feel the .. I leave it at that

oriol and rbrochey like this.
  3. Mar 27, 2017 #3

BJC

BJC

BJC

Pitts: Best handling airplane available. (Did not build, bought a flying airplane.)

Sportsman 2+2: Comfort, good useful load, reasonable speeds and range.

BJC

don january likes this.
  4. Mar 27, 2017 #4

MadRocketScientist

MadRocketScientist

MadRocketScientist

Canterbury, New Zealand, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy.
    I am building a CriCri, I first saw one in 2005 and wanted one right away because it was so similar to the twin chainsaw engine powered plane I had sketched up as a 10 year old!

5. Mar 27, 2017 #5

gtae07

gtae07

gtae07

I chose an RV-7 despite its commonality because I'm familiar with the RV line--Dad and I built an RV-6 when I was in high school (dear Lord, we started that 19 years ago! :shock:) and I have a decent amount of time in it. It's a pretty versatile aircraft and can do a lot of things decently well.

Something with four seats would be nice (we have a one-year-old right now) but I didn't want to give up the aerobatic capability. I figure for about the same cost as having my own four-seater I could get in on a partnership for an RV-10, Velocity, Sportsman, etc. and have my RV-7 besides.

6. Mar 27, 2017 #6

tspear

tspear

tspear

Unless I cannot afford it, I am planning on a Velocity V-Twin. Otherwise, I will look for a used Velocity XL.
    (Waiting until kids done with college, getting close on the older two!)

Tim

7. Mar 27, 2017 #7

dcstrng

dcstrng

dcstrng

Nearly fifty years ago I wanted a Tailwind, never lost the itch – bought all sorts of plans (KR2S, Sonex, Wag-Sport-Trainer, Pietenpol, Tailwind, Cougar, Sonerai, STOL King, CH601/701/750, you name it…) but didn’t really have a place to build until ten years ago at which point my PPL had slipped to a LSA so I compromised and went with a Buttercup, good plane, had fuselage and wings, but didn’t speak to me and never finished – started a plans build CH701 (still have most of what I’d done), but got sidetracked with a Sonerai – loved that project, but my Corvair didn’t seem (in my head) to be the optimal combination – sold Buttercup and Sonerai projects within about two months of each other and about a year ago bought a salvage, stripped Cougar fuselage, and assorted parts (not a TW as any Wittman fan will tell you rather firmly, but close enough for me) and am now building Callbie Wood W10 metal wings with Strojnick wing-tips for it, to be powering by my Azalea 100hp Corvair that Bill finished for me a year and a half ago.

don january likes this.
  8. Mar 28, 2017 #8

TFF

TFF

TFF

The plane picks you. You might not be able to afford the choice. After that what you can compromise to get close to the original choice. I always wanted a Pitts. A $2000 Starduster One project has me in the game. I also know I would need acclimation to that level, so perfect spot to be. A 4 seat Tailwind like plane and a Pitts S1-11b would be perfect projects and final one would be proper Sopwith Camel.