• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

How did you choose?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CdnMedic

So, finally getting close to that time where I can actually start a project. I've been away from this scene for quite some time, somethings are still the same, but there are things in the last few years that are really changing how things are done.
I started flying ultralights at 14, 22 years ago. One spirited aerobatic flight and realized THAT was the type of flying I wanted to do, and lost all motivation to finish my ultralight permit. Haven't been at the controls since. Joined the Army as a medic and life was too hectic. I'm now a structures tech in the RCAF, so I'm working on aircraft every day. My trade encompasses essentially everything aside from wiring and power plants. So the structural work, composites, finishing etc. Welding, Machining, textiles, it's all part of the job.
I like fast. I spent a long time racing motocross. Being in your 30s with a body full of screws and plates and enough joint cracking for someone my age, I decided to build a circle track car... Yep, too boring after racing 2 wheels. So, essentially I'm no longer wasting the money on racing. I had a street bike for a number of years (the girlfriend misses it) but sold it because I didn't want to die because someone was texting and driving. I built a pretty quick LS swapped trans am (learned how much I really enjoy building wiring harnesses). So yep, I like speed.
Myself and my other half live about a 1600km drive from our families, so the idea of a 6-8 hour flight vs 16-18 hours of driving is nice. I'm 190-200lbs she is 130ish.

Coming from the world of LS swapping vehicles, and the fact that I have beat the guts out of my Yamaha race bikes without a single failure and my Yamaha street bike was super reliable, I really want to follow Steve Henry's lead and use an Apex motor. I like the idea of building a 200hp turbo set up, which is relatively simple, reliable, fuel efficient. Finding a cheap donor sled up here is very easy. I was a big time sledder up until 5 years ago, so I have friends all over still in the scene.

So, aircraft I'm considering:
A 2 place sonerai being pulled with that 150hp motor would absolutely scream along. Basically zero baggage when flying 2 up, and I really hate the fact it has to be flown from the back. But, CHEAP! However, it is a scratch build. Not sure if Sonex will be supplying things like spars now that they have the rights to the design.

A sonex, does not really attract me in the looks department. But, again, that apex motor in that aircraft would be a great cruise speed. And the wings come off which is a bonus for me as hangar rent sucks. Kit price is really near that of an RV now. But, a simple build.

RV-4. Yes, please. However, a turbo apex set up is much lighter than the lycoming, and considering it is apparently easy to have the C/G too far aft with a pax, bags, and when lower on fuel, means I have to come up with a solution... Extending the engine forward, moving anything ahead of the firewall that I can could help. Or Maybe an 8 and just reduce my rear baggage capacity.

SPA Cougar. The panther is sexy, kit is a bargain, very simple to build and it essentially has a roll cage. If the Cougar follows suit, it just may be the way to go. I'm approx 18 months from starting my build, so hopefully it has been released to the public by then.

But, then there are these STOL rat characters that just make that form of flying a blast. Both of us are outdoorsy. We fish, hunt, camp etc. However, an airplane that fits that mission isn't a cross country flier.

Back