How about a UL Buhl Pup replica?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Tiger Tim

I seem to have forgotten to throw any textbooks in my bag, does anyone have a method of calculating stall speed of a rectangular wing for dummies?

cluttonfred

Supporting Member
Calling @cluttonfred do you still have the information on hand for a little cable-braced French(?) monoplane you posted elsewhere a few months back?

It goes back more than a decade, not a few months, but is this what you meant?

Tiger Tim

Maybe someone else posted but I thought there was something a little newer, maybe made sometime between the 70s and now. I think it was posted within the last six months but the way the last two years have gone, who knows?

Tiger Tim

Found it! It was the Starck A.S. 90 “New Look” I was thinking of.
Here’s a quick copy of the Starck’s specs:
4D31B18E-EE12-4F38-913C-05B7A8EEF945.jpeg
If my high school French holds, it tells us it has 18hp (unless France used a different power standard?). I think it also has a span of 7.4m (24-ish feet), length 5.35m (17.5 feet), 9.4m^2 wing area (101 square feet), empty weight 120kg (264lb), and a max gross weight of 210kg (463lb). The useful load kind of sucks but such is life.

Performance appears to be max speed(?) 90km/h (56mph), cruise speed 80km/h (50mph), I assume the next one is stall at 35km/h (22mph!), and possibly ceiling and range respectively at 3000m (10,000 feet, give or take) and 200km (125 statute miles).

All up, those are very 103-ish specs in an airplane designed on another continent a decade or more before the FAA put pen to paper on their own rules.

cluttonfred

Supporting Member
It’s a neat design. In other drawings I have seen the ailerons appeared to be offset below the trailing edge for a slotted effect but I don’t think I have ever seen a good photo to confirm that. The Aubier & Dunne engine was used in another early famous French ultralight…the original Mignet HM.14 Pou-du-Ciel or Flying Flea.