How about a Mini Max but with a Highlander Landing Gear?

Discussion in 'Aircraft Design / Aerodynamics / New Technology' started by Timstertimster, Aug 1, 2014.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Aug 1, 2014 #1

Timstertimster

Timstertimster

Timstertimster

I'm pondering... The mini max 1100R Mini-Max - Team Mini-Max, the worlds best ultralight and light plane kits and plans.

Is nice and looks quick to build.

But I love the landing gear on the Highlander superSTOL, that allows for those smack-it-down landings with ridiculously steep approach.

Could this be combined? I'm not very experienced and at this moment it's a theoretical exercise for me, but I'd love to hear from the grand poobah's here if this makes sense.

Id worry a bit about stability if landing rough, since it's a glued wood frame. Would I risk crawling out of a plywood rubble pile after landing 25 times on a grass patch with mole hills?

Can a mini max sport 29" tundra tires? Or would that mess with the stability during flight?

Thanks for indulging me.

FritzW likes this.
  2. Aug 1, 2014 #2

TFF

TFF

TFF

I dont think the Mini Max is strong enough. Anything can be done but it cant be scabbed on, and by the time you figure it out, you have just designed another airplane. A Mini Max will almost perform that short as is, in normal flight without the drama. It would not fly as nice with those big wheels.

dcstrng and StarJar like this.
  3. Aug 1, 2014 #3

bifft

bifft

bifft

Looking at the pictures in your link, the wing struts attach to the landing gear axle. This means the gear position is fixed and the only shock absorption is in the tires. I believe the Flybaby is also like that.

So, for superSTOL style gear, it would need to not be attached to the wing strut structure (as it moves a lot absorbing that smack it down landing). You would then need that wing strut in place as well, or to completely redesign the wing as a cantilever. Either way not a simple change.

4. Aug 1, 2014 #4

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

What about a HiMax, Legal Eagle XL (I'm making a STOL one of those), one of the Fisher Flying high wings or Ragwings wood Stork?

Maybe get your free copy of the HiMax and 1550V plans and start doodeling how you would want to do it.

P.S. STOL low wing, even shoulder wings have their drawbacks. My VP-1 could land on back roads but couldn't taxi through a cattle guard;)

P.P.S. properly designed and built wood airplanes are plenty durable.

...just some thoughts. It sounds like a fun project.

Timstertimster and StarJar like this.
  5. Aug 1, 2014 #5

N8053H

N8053H

N8053H

Go with the Hi-Max....

Here you will see one I modified to look like a bush style airplane.

Before pic..... High max.jpg

After pic.......
    High max 2.jpg

Short video of this airplane after the modifications....

Tony

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2019
    Vipor_GG, dcstrng and FritzW like this.
  6. Aug 1, 2014 #6

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

7. Aug 1, 2014 #7

jedi

jedi

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
    I do not see any reason that larger tires could not be installed on the 1100R Mini Max. The added weight and drag will affect performance and may exceed the UL weight limit but I would not be concerned with that (weight) issue. You might consider the Roleeze type wheels http://www.abledata.com/abledata.cfm?pageid=113582&orgid=113508 as installed on the Grazhopper http://grazhopper.com/. These are available in several sizes but you will need to check that the axel sizes are compatable and install the steel bearings. Weight should not be an issue with these wheels and tires. Durability may be an issue and I would consider adding a more conventional tire tread for wear and puncture resistance. Check that a flat tire on one side does not result in a wing tip contact on the other side.

The larger softer tires will ease the landing stress and decrease the chances of the "pile or rubble". If the intent is to use the long stroke shock absorbers of the Highlander that would completely change the structural requirements and would not be simple. Furthermore the long gear legs and stroke is not required because the Min Max can not reach the high deck angles the Highlander achieves on landing. If that is your desire purchase the Highlander.

I will run the big tire option past the company and respond back if necessary. Move now if you are ready to go. Kits are 10% off during the AirVenture show. Attendence is not necessary. Just add AirVenture at check out. I "like" the company and the lazer cut kit is the way to go. Well worth the cost.

PS: Attention other builders - Team Mini Max generally has the best prices and service on aircraft products. Give them a chance on all your aviation needs. They are not just Mini Max promoters, they are your go to first stop for supplies and can out perform the big names like Sporties, etc. Respond back here if you have a problem. (As promoted in the Airventure Forum of 7-31-2014)

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
    Timstertimster and Jon Ferguson like this.
  8. Aug 2, 2014 #8

deskpilot

deskpilot

deskpilot

Morphett Vale, South Australia. Just south of Adel
    Next modification............swap out camera man for more reliable type.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2019
    Sockmonkey, Giggi, bmcj and 1 other person like this.
  9. Aug 2, 2014 #9

Pops

Pops

Pops

How about this. Super Koala construction but built single place and to the dimensions of the Koala 202. EW-450 lbs, 60 HP, VW engine. Could go 80 HP with 2 additional pounds. 1300 fpm roc, 80 mph cruise, takeoff- short. Stall 30 mph, about 26-27 mph in ground effect. Rollout - short even without using brakes. All of that with no flaps.
    Dan

Attached Files:

10. Aug 2, 2014 #10

JamesG

JamesG

JamesG

Yeah much better option. The configuration of the MiniMax is really not conducive to landing shock. It is so lightly built and mutually reinforcing that any even mildly rough landing would transmit extremely high loads into localized components.

11. Aug 2, 2014 #11

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

Dan,

Did you need both sets of plans to build yours? (Koala and Super Koala)

12. Aug 2, 2014 #12

Autodidact

Autodidact

Autodidact

It looks like it's just narrowed, but the strut/fuselage attach point looks different, too. I like Pops' little airplane.

13. Aug 2, 2014 #13

N8053H

N8053H

N8053H

The only thing you could knock me on..My camera skills. I am fine with that. I never claim to be a camera man..But..It got the message across...

Tony

FritzW likes this.
  14. Aug 2, 2014 #14

N8053H

N8053H

N8053H

That was a 22x12x8 tire I mounted on that Hi-Max. I used Azusa rims I had cut down. Nothing looks worse then mounting Go-Kart style rims on an airplane. They are just to wide. Off to the machine shop I went. I had my machinist cut 1 1/8th off each side. This made the rims when put together 3 inchs wide. I then drilled the side lip and screwed each wheel to the rim. This keeps the tire from spinning on the rim and shearing the valve stem. I used inner tubes with these tires.

The combined weight of each assembly was the same as the stock tires and wheels with disc breaks. That steel disc weighed a lot.

I did this same mod to my Avenger. It has the same landing gear as the minimax, meaning the wings are supported by the axle and it has the axle running from wheel to wheel. I went a little different route with the Avenger though.

Tony

dcstrng likes this.
  15. Aug 2, 2014 #15

Pops

Pops

Pops

I bought a totaled 202 for the plans ($200). The proto-type Super Koala is in a hanger next door to look and measure for the construction and the 202 plans for the general dimensions. All the hardware, control system, landing gear, wing struts, engine mounts are my design. Also have wing fuel tanks with no nose tank. No parts of the aircraft is the same as either the 202 or the Super Koala. Aircraft is rated at 6.7 g's. Fisher needs to kit this aircraft and call it the Super 202. Plans for the 4130 landing gear is here.
    https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/ffphomebuilts/files/FP202 Steel Gear/

dcstrng and FritzW like this.
  16. Aug 2, 2014 #16

Pops

Pops

Pops

Not just narrowed. All of the dimensions is Koala 202 for the Cub look.

17. Aug 2, 2014 #17

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

Isn't Fisher out of the kit business, at least for a while? ...and maybe out of the airplane designing business? Something about selling the business to a new owner.

If someone was selling "Super 202" plans I'd be first in line to buy a set;) ...especially if they were in a smaller format. I bought the plans for the Youngster V but the 1:1 scale of the plans didn't work for me. You need a basketball court if you want to roll them out to study them.

Pops likes this.
  18. Aug 2, 2014 #18

akwrencher

akwrencher

akwrencher

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Fisher is Still alive, under new ownership. I just bought Dakota Hawk plans this summer. I'm pretty sure they are selling kits still as well.

19. Aug 2, 2014 #19

Pops

Pops

Pops

Yep, new ownership. I wish then well. A lot of nice airplanes. Dan

20. Aug 2, 2014 #20

Pops

Pops

Pops

At one time I think Paul at Fisher (the past owner) said he was thinking of kitting the Super 202 in the future.
    Dan