• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Hovey Delta Bird restoration

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

12notes

Supporting Member
Day 0:
A friend of a friend of a member of my glider club was moving under short notice and had an ultralight project they needed to get rid of and decided they did not have time to sell. So they were giving this away free, and although I didn't know much about it and did not have a truck and trailer to pick it up, nor did I know where to put it or where to work on it, my philosophy is if someone offers an aircraft for free, you say yes and figure out the details later. I have a friend with a truck & trailer who was willing to drive all the way across town to pick it up, and a friend who has built two planes that had hangar space at his work I could use, and a willingness to help.

True to expectations, it was in a barn. As expected, it needed work. Unexpectedly, it came with a Global 35hp half VW engine. Score!

Here it is in all it's glory after removing it from the trailer:
20170819_121455.jpg20170819_121501.jpg20170819_121517.jpg

Total project expenditure: $0 + 1 lunch (BBQ for truck and trailer friend)

Last edited:
Back