Hoverbike debuts at Detroit Auto Show. Let the Stupidity loose

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
Can you point to a single proposal for a single occupant E-VTOL with wings (that is a serious project, ie., not the FAA pilot in the phone booth type project). Why not if that is the obvious way to success?

challenger_II

And that's very rare and nothing new.
Frank brought things in house for quality control. late 70s
Enstroms are from years of neglect this year
Yours are from cheap bidders. this moment
I bet you fly a kite, Charlie Brown "AAAAARRRRRRGGGG"
We were discussing helos being safer due to the ability to auto-rotate. I simply stated that was not the case if the bird slung a blade.
Having been a helicopter technician in Uncle Sam's Travel Club, I am somewhat familiar with rotorcraft.
As for slinging a blade being rare: true, but not non-existent. I lost a friend 2 years ago this coming November when his R44 slung a blade. However, I believe that may be in your described category of "from a cheap bidder".

And, yes: I DO fly a "kite"!

IMG_20220303_173626.jpg

D Hillberg

We were discussing helos being safer due to the ability to auto-rotate. I simply stated that was not the case if the bird slung a blade.
Having been a helicopter technician in Uncle Sam's Travel Club, I am somewhat familiar with rotorcraft.
As for slinging a blade being rare: true, but not non-existent. I lost a friend 2 years ago this coming November when his R44 slung a blade. However, I believe that may be in your described category of "from a cheap bidder".

And, yes: I DO fly a "kite"!

View attachment 130191
That's cute'

I once flew an R-22 back to Robinson for overhaul that was well maintained but after the company went under I found out it had 6,000 hours on it. {Business records)

Attachments

• attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 0
  • camirillo airshow.png
    camirillo airshow.png
    87.8 KB · Views: 1

qchen98

“One bird you deal with by redundancy... a whole flock…..”

I assume you are thinking of Sully’s ride. They had wings and all were able to walk (or swim if they wanted to) away. As they any landing you can walk away from is ok.

Wouldn't it be much more efficient to grind through a flock of birds with a two-blade propeller, opposite to a multi-stage compressor in a jet engine?

Blade failure caused by propellers hitting soft objects sounds quite unplausible.

Dan Thomas

Wouldn't it be much more efficient to grind through a flock of birds with a two-blade propeller, opposite to a multi-stage compressor in a jet engine?

Blade failure caused by propellers hitting soft objects sounds quite unplausible.
Propeller blades can get bent when they strike water. I worked on an airplane that bent a blade when it struck one of those soft plastic traffic cones on the ramp. Besides that, internal engine damage can happen when rpm suddenly falls.

Larger birds sometimes come through the windshield of light airplanes and can kill or incapacitate the pilot.

Birdstrikes are serious in any flying machine.

D Hillberg

Balloons on a ribbon caused a Pitts to crash from the drag on one propeller blade...

Dominic Eller

Supporting Member
I think Colin’s effort was bloody good for a garage project, love this guy, His YouTube channel is a great rabbit hole to go down.
He made and rode the hover bike 6 years ago too.

Last edited:

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
Supporting Member
Last edited:

D Hillberg

A kite string wrapped around the rotor and took down a JetRanger helicopter. I don’t have a link.

edit: looks like several Helicopter Crash Due To Kite String?
Laguna Beach Ca - 1986 flying at 800 ft and the kite was 1500 ft - Saw the shadow then the kite above... landed.
the string cleaned the tail rotor cross head...

qchen98

Im not sure whether the human carrying vehicles will be piloted or operated autonomously, but the latter likely wont see the flock of birds or be able to avoid them.
Since the human is spared from the task of piloting the thing, he is very capable of shooting the birds with AR-15