Hoverbike debuts at Detroit Auto Show. Let the Stupidity loose

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

TheFlyingBikeGuy

What technologies would those be? The brushless DC motor has been around for quite a while now. Used in machine tools for 40 years. Used in RC models for 15 or more. Maybe the stability stuff is newer? But I bet even that has been around for more than ten years
I see lots of folks just scaling up a quacopter into a decapitation machine. 10 years is about right for it all being able to be invisioned...robust software libraries for digital gyros and transcievers are still getting better and even good enough. A digital gyro for instance that could resolve angular momentum greater than 500 degrees per second is under 10 years old.

TheFlyingBikeGuy

They should bring the Quads in and move the linear pair fore-aft.
Maybe decouple them so gimbling can be done.
I can garantee that their software could not handle moving the motors closer to center. It would throw the pitch and roll vectors off and since yaw in a quadcopter is done via parasitic tourque...they'd be screwed.

Edit. No negativity to you. Sorry. There is just no way to engineer a quad to make sense at human scale.

Tiger Tim

I’ve said it before, I’d rather see someone with money to burn pour it into insane consumer products like this than high end art. I’m convinced those multi million dollar art auctions are nothing more than money laundering or something.

radfordc

People will pay anything to be in the spotlight. I guess the more money you have, the dummer you are…
Once you reach a certain level of wealth money has no meaning. It then becomes only a question of what do you want. Dumb or smart doesn't enter into it, although being smart may help you get to the requisite level of wealth. So do you buy a flying bike or a 20 year old blond?

pylon500

Supporting Member
And the obvious problem being that this is aimed at more and more of the non-aviation edge of the market, bringing in more people with no idea of what's involved with 'transporting through the air'.
All the self stabilised, self flying, autonomous directing 'model' sized drones (et all), are at the border of destroying the model aviation environment as we knew it.
😱 :mad:

raytol

Supporting Member
Kittyhawk has given away the urban airborne mobility game. I think there is going to be more to put it in the "too hard" bin!
Any flying object that can glide or auto-rotate is doomed. Just my $0.02 worth

addaon

Supporting Member
Given that I worked at Kitty Hawk before they spun off Wisk I’m limited in what I can say here, but I will say that winding down smaller long-term projects when funding tightens up is typical. Kitty Hawk’s largest project, Wisk, is still going.

TheFlyingBikeGuy

I’ve said it before, I’d rather see someone with money to burn pour it into insane consumer products like this than high end art. I’m convinced those multi million dollar art auctions are nothing more than money laundering or something.
Also moving money. I was involved with the art world in China very recently. Rich Chinese buy art from Western artists to move money out of the country. It's very easy to find a middling artist to bring to China, hype them up and make a back room deal for when the cash gets into western (non PRC) hands.

Edit. And its the gallery owners doing the deals not the artists. Artists just like to be artists for the most part.

Edit2, and it wasnt me. I hung out in Shanghai and got the scoop having cocktails with an artist frind from NYC at The Bund in Shanghai. Intersting world.

Last edited: