Hoverbike debuts at Detroit Auto Show. Let the Stupidity loose

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

TFF

The price will come down with volume.

Use without a big field will be limited. But it would be fun.

In traffic, you can just push one out of the way, because they don’t have any brakes. Float to the side. Unless they shoot anchors into the ground. New violations for both sides.

radfordc

It should be noted that 10 years ago you could not have had this machine at any price. The technologies required are only recently available.

I remember a flying machine that debuted with a duration of 12 seconds and a range of 850 feet. It evolved into some fairly capable ancestors. And as I recall a lot of people mocked the inventors of that one, too.

Dan Thomas

It should be noted that 10 years ago you could not have had this machine at any price. The technologies required are only recently available.
What technologies would those be? The brushless DC motor has been around for quite a while now. Used in machine tools for 40 years. Used in RC models for 15 or more. Maybe the stability stuff is newer? But I bet even that has been around for more than ten years.

Aesquire

I contend that flying scooter & flying motorcycle are far more realistic projects than a "flying car" that is illegal to drive on the road or costs more than a WW2 Battlecruiser.

There's a certain expectation of safety and luxury in a "car" that is not part of flying motorcycle dreams.

If it's out in the weather and skill is required... That's a very different customer base. I'm biased as a 45+ year motorbike guy... Not counting minibikes.

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA

I remember a flying machine that debuted with a duration of 12 seconds and a range of 850 feet. It evolved into some fairly capable ancestors. And as I recall a lot of people mocked the inventors of that one, too.
And the parallel government sponsored project had even less success.

Langley Aerodrome - Wikipedia

Last edited:

DennisK

The overall layout looks good, using two large fans for lift and four small ones for control, with all the ducts and gratings providing a decent amount of protection for bystanders. I wonder if the large fans are driven directly by the engine, or indirectly by electric generator+motors. Seems like direct would be better, so you only need a small generator to supply the control fans. Then size the control fans so you can make a battery powered emergency landing if the engine quits.

The flight time is surprisingly short. Only double the Jetson One. I wonder how much fuel it can carry? And if it has an oversize fuel tank so a 70kg person like me could carry an extra 30kg fuel while staying within the payload limit?

addaon

Supporting Member
There's no way you're sizing control fans to provide full take-off weight of lift, especially if they're fixed pitch. That's the reason most eVTOL designs end up with 6+ similarly-sized motors -- to give some chance of actually doing a powered descent after fan failure. Much lighter to just use the control fans to keep the the right side up and deploy a BRS.

Victor Bravo

Supporting Member
All this recent hoverbike stuff is incredible because they figured out how to do the personal VTOL mission using something that is somehow LESS viable, LESS elegant, and LESS common sense, LESS safety, and LESS performance than even the old Scorpion and Adams-Wilson helicopters... and they offer it at 20X the price.

Take the Scorpion, Adams-Wilson, Mosquito and several others as a benchmark. Make a battery powered version if you have to, or do like this latest hoverbike did and use a noisy ICE. Then put in the flight control software that is already out there for many UAV's that use true helicopter configuration... and give the pilot a simple joystick to steer it while the CPU does all the collective and cyclic and tail rotor stuff.

I'll bet you can sell a brand new one for 10-20% of the number thrown around on this latest one. It would go farther and faster, and it would be able to autorotate in the event of a dead battery or engine out.

dog

the number of people who have the money for million dollar toys,is millions
they buy watches,etc for more
phono cartrige is a nice $25 000 for a mid range one
stuff like this has been flying for years anyhow

SpruceForest

$700K sounds about right given we are on the leftmost edge of the adoption curve. Price versus cost... like a lot of other things, the market determines the price. BOM? Yes - it's way cheaper to buy in quantity, but if you are buying 1000 versus 6 custom widgets, that does not move the needle on your cost nearly as much as leveraging existing large-scale tech from some other sector where orders are two to three OOM greater.

Agree with VB... AAM looks a lot more like a way to fleece investors at the tag end of latest global Golden Age of Misplaced Enthusiasm than a viable solution for urban congestion. Like the more general topic of EVs and greening the grid, while materials and control methods may be coming or already here in marginally suitable form, the other pieces - the power generation and storage piece - are not.

dave wolfe

Supporting Member
A million bucks for a hovercraft? I didnt see any discussion about its altitude capabilities.

Maybe they will sell a few as yacht toys and movie props.

Orange4sky

A million bucks for a hovercraft? I didnt see any discussion about its altitude capabilities.

Maybe they will sell a few as yacht toys and movie props.
Even for the movies, MDF, paint, and a green screen is a lot cheaper.

One thing’s for sure, “no step” takes on a whole new urgency on that thing. Forget the speeder bike maneuverability. It’s limb shortening specs are insane!

Last edited: