• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Housepaint for sealing wood aircraft

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Insect

So I understand the common procedure to seal wood aircraft is to:
1) Varnish (Spar urethane I think is the proper interpretation usually)
2) Sand,
3) Paint over the varnish if a color is desired.

I am considering housepaint on the following conditions for my ultralight:
1) it has improved a lot over the years, specifically Sherwin Williams indoor-outdoor acrylic
2) my aircraft will never be exposed to daily morning condensation of dew
3) Garage is dehumidified
4) I have had some projects merely painted, my kayak seat for example, which did fine 5+ years in worse conditions.
5) Wood contains moisture, trapping that 10% moisture perfectly in a varnish does not seem like that great of an idea to me, housepaint permeates just slightly.
6) After 20 years or so I feel it is OK to scrap and rebuild the wooden parts / aircraft for example, rather than imperfectly chase repairs
7) Some oil based "furniture paints" exist, as do some waterborne alkyd's etc. which are a bit harder and seal better.
8) I bond everything with T88 prior to painting, not after.
9) This plan may reduce weight slightly.

Ok, it seems like I am trying to rationalize housepaint as a faster and acceptable procedure, yep to a certain degree, any insight into others' similar experiences or thoughts?

Back