• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Hot oil box / oil cooler

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pops

I have stated this before but maybe this might help someone with their VW engine.

Doing the first part of phase I test hours, I was getting carb ice at the drop of a hat, even worse than a Cont A-65. The engine never really ran as smooth as it should being balanced to within one gram. At times it ran a little rough and then smooth out and a little rough again. Also the mixture was changing. The problem was the intake charge at times was condensing into droplets and collecting and running into the cylinder making it run lean then rich. A VW with the carb on the bottom of the engine and the long intakes where they are getting the air blast on top of the engine was just to much. The test flying started on the month of Nov. Lyc engine have the intakes run through the oil sump to stop the same problem so why can't I do the same thing.

I have a full flow oil cooler and filter so I welded a hot oil box around the intake at the base of the carb. Ran the oil to the box then to the cooler and then to the oil filter and back to the engine. Made the box from 1/8"alum with about 5/16" gap form the inside of the box to the OD of the intake to make sure the oil has to be in contact of the intake as much as possible but still get the flow needed.
The engine runs like a different engine. Smooth at all times with more power since I can set the mixture correctly. I still use my exhaust carb heat when landing but have not had any carb ice since using the hot oil box. I always give the engine time for the oil to warm up before taxi and take-off. Its also a two-for-one, it also acts as an oil cooler. I used a point and shoot temp gauge and the oil coming out of the box is 20 degs cooler than the inlet temp. Now if the OAT is below 70 degs I unhook one of the air inlet hoses to the other oil cooler to keep the oil temp up at between 180 to 190 degs.

Dan

Attachments

• DSCF0027.JPG
    DSCF0027.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 138
  • DSCF0033.jpg
    DSCF0033.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 143
Back