Honda Civic (Turbo) Powered RV6A 100hrs flying and counting.....

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

charosenz

As the title of the thread states, I built and now I am flying an RV6A that is powered by a Honda Civic 1.8L engine. I also installed a turbo on it. I have 100 hours flying it. So far I have not had any major problems. I have the project well document on Vans Airforce dot net since the beginning, (that now has over 203,000 views) but I thought it there may be some over here on HBA that would find this project interesting.

I know the question that almost everyone wants to ask.....How fast does it fly? I have to state that speed was never an important goal in my mind when deciding on this build. It is worth noting that I currently have oversized 6.00 tires, no wheel pants, or even leg fairings, a fixed pitch warp drive prop, and of course a radiator slung in the fuse...so, all that said, I can cruise at 150 mph....at 5000rpm and 3 lbs of boost.

I created several short videos on youtube. Just search under "Honda Powered RV6A..)

I have had a ton of fun with this. I was living in Washington State and flew it to KY last December. I am seriously itching to build again but this time a STOL plane...

Here are a few pics....

Charlie Rosenzweig
N327WC
Magnolia KY.

Attachments

PagoBay

A great aircraft deserves a great engine!
Does complement/compliment Viking's success with now three (130/150/195HP) engines from Honda.
Well done! Happy flying.

TFF

150 is pretty good with no wheel pants. I know the Vans pants were worth 6 kts on a friend’s plane.

speedracer

150 is pretty good with no wheel pants. I know the Vans pants were worth 6 kts on a friend’s plane.
6 knots sounds about right for an RV. On Long EZ's wheel pants are an automatic 10 MPH gain, the cheapest (and best looking) speed enhancement.

Pops

Log Member
My Falcon F-12 had 6.00 x 6" wheels and tires with wheel pants and cruised at 150 mph and about 145 mph with the wheel pants off.
I would say that 150 mph is pretty good also.

charosenz

Oh.....I forgot to mention the most important point...at least when it comes to top speed.....and that is that the PSRU - with the 2.33 ratio, is slowing the prop RPM WAY down compared to most RVs Prop RPM. I like to cruise about 4500 RPM. Hence my prop RPM is only 1933 at this RPM. You can imagine how this would impact most planes if their a top RPM was around 2000 RPM. This is actually the biggest reason for the top speed being quite slower than most RVs. Much more so than the wheel pants.

TFF

Wheel pants are usually free speed. Instead of using the speed you could trade it for mileage if pulling the engine back. Ten more miles might mean the difference between fuel stop and no fuel stop.

rv6ejguy

The specific prop rpm only has an impact on speed if the pitch is incorrect. The advance ratio is what's important. The TU-95 props turn at 750 rpm but it is the fastest propeller driven aircraft currently flying. Turbocharged aircraft need a variable pitch prop to fully take advantage of the power offered at altitude. A FP prop becomes more of a liability the higher you fly.

dave wolfe

Nice job! Congrats.

If you do start looking for speed, the prop looks like it has very little twist like used on a STOL plane. More twist should get a bit more speed, probably at the expense of takeoff roll and initial climb.

tallank

As the title of the thread states, I built and now I am flying an RV6A that is powered by a Honda Civic 1.8L engine. I also installed a turbo on it. I have 100 hours flying it. So far I have not had any major problems. I have the project well document on Vans Airforce dot net since the beginning, (that now has over 203,000 views) but I thought it there may be some over here on HBA that would find this project interesting.

I know the question that almost everyone wants to ask.....How fast does it fly? I have to state that speed was never an important goal in my mind when deciding on this build. It is worth noting that I currently have oversized 6.00 tires, no wheel pants, or even leg fairings, a fixed pitch warp drive prop, and of course a radiator slung in the fuse...so, all that said, I can cruise at 150 mph....at 5000rpm and 3 lbs of boost.

I created several short videos on youtube. Just search under "Honda Powered RV6A..)

I have had a ton of fun with this. I was living in Washington State and flew it to KY last December. I am seriously itching to build again but this time a STOL plane...

Here are a few pics....

Charlie Rosenzweig
N327WC
Magnolia KY.
Gear leg fairings and wheel pants were good for 15kts on my 360 powered 6.

charosenz

I appreciate the thought/good intentions behind all the helpful ideas on how to gain speed, but I honestly was sincere when I stated from the beginning that I am not driven for top end speed. My focus right now, beside flying, is to make modifications to reduce heat. It is not bad, but there are some obvious things I can do to improve things.
The specific prop rpm only has an impact on speed if the pitch is incorrect. The advance ratio is what's important. The TU-95 props turn at 750 rpm but it is the fastest propeller driven aircraft currently flying. Turbocharged aircraft need a variable pitch prop to fully take advantage of the power offered at altitude. A FP prop becomes more of a liability the higher you fly.
Ross,

Good to hear from you. I know the warp prop is out of its element up in the "thin air". The prop RPM topic was only mentioned when it comes to comparing apples to apples. I.E. My plane cruising at a 2000RPM compared to a typical RV cruising at 2500+. I have a friend nearby who has a RV6A and I need to get up with him to see how we do flying at the same prop RPM. I know of course with my lack of fairings and the slung radiator he will be faster but it would be interesting to see how much faster. Considering my engine cost $600.00 I won't be the slightest disappointed when he pull ahead by a bit.... :)

Not only does the FP prop suffer at altitude, but, as you know better than me, I cannot take advantage of the turbo as I end up with too high of RPM for the PSRU to be happy. The ground adjustable Warp though has been perfect for me in this project. If my lottery ticket is a winner, I will consider some big money props....

So I am still considering the GR-Engines Variable Pitch Prop made in Rostov Don RU. Again, not so much to gain top end speed but I really would like to get my RPM down to reduce temps in the gearbox on hot days. Not to say that increasing pitch/ higher MAP would be ideal to reduce heat either but it is certainly going to increase options...