Honda Civic engine for aircraft?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

reggie

I am buliding a wood tandem taildragger powered by a Honda Civic 1.6 L engine inverted with Marcote geared P.S.R.U. Do you know why this conversion isn't more popular?
Also - is it necessary to enlarge clearances for aircraft use?

rtfm

Hi,
I'm familiar with the car, but not the details of the engine. Weight? HP? Torque? What details do you have regarding the engine?

Duncan

Elmog

I believe that BedeMicro has some experience with the Honda engine in the BD-5. Also, War Aircraft Replicas used a Honda in their 1/2 scale P-51 Mustang. Might be worth looking to these guys for advice. Jim

orion

The Marcotte drive is a very good design but initially the company failed to deliver on promises and on ordered products. I was one of the ones that lost money when I ordered from the original owner.

I hear that the company is under new ownership now and that they are working to establish a better production program and are apparently delivering good products.

The problem I think they have is simply that once a bad rep is associated with a particular name, it is very difficult to get rid of that reputation. And hen they're up in Canada so their exposure down here is limited.

Procreator

I have a 1.6 Honda Civic engine mounted on a gyro. The engine came ready to go from Firewall Forward with their belt redrive and has been modified to endure prolonged high RPM use. The engine works fine, lots of power but it is heavier than some other options. It supposedly produces 134hp (125hp at the propellor hub). The actual performance of the gyro is better than a 100hp 912S Rotax but not as good as the 115hp 914 Rotax.

Steve

steveair2

Log Member
That is a nice looking engine. I know the after market V twins are high priced. I wonder what one of these would cost?

Starman

I really hope those guys succeed! A V4 is the ideal compact powerhouse so it's ideal for bikes too, and it being like half of a V8 makes it the perfect American engine.