• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Honda B20B Belt PSRU

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonny Furman

Gentlemen: I have been lurking here for some time, but now thought it might be appropriate to offer a glimps of my latest redrive which I purpose built for my supercharged Honda B20B engine, slated for my in progress SE5a full scale replica. The photos are mostly self explanatory, and should the redrive cog pulleys look familiar, they are in fact Harley belt drive with 14mm pitch but now with a custom Kevlar reinforced belt to suit the application. The engine now in a test cradle was also set up on a dino and produced 215 HP at 5300 RPM which is the max I intend to run, considering an 80" prop and with the ratio of 2.14 to 1. Engine weight all up is 278 lbs which is a much better power to weight ratio than the Wolsely 150 HP originals which weighed some 450 lbs. yet still provided a cruise speed of 127 MPH for the SE5.
Having just turned 75, this is now my third homebuilt and likely my last, and with nearly 5,000 hrs in C-130E's I am still learning tail dragger skills. This redrive was done in entirely in my home shop with basic machine tools and at a cost of approx. $500 in materials. Note the double roller bearings for proper shaft support in axial and radial loads. The belt tensioner was fabbed from a Harley shift lever and two high speed skateboard wheels, while the rear cooling fan shroud is made from a cakepan. Necessity is always the mother of invention. While I am not selling these I am happy to offer details to those interested in building thier own.
Irv "Sonny" Furman, Col. USAF ret.

Attachments

• DSC02479.JPG
    DSC02479.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 148
  • DSC02480.JPG
    DSC02480.JPG
    99.2 KB · Views: 148
  • DSC02481.JPG
    DSC02481.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 142
  • DSC02482.JPG