Honda 1.3L and Air Trikes redrive

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Autodidact

Here is a 61,000 mi 1.3L Honda dual plug engine: http://www.ebay.com/itm/06-07-08-09-10-11-HONDA-CIVIC-ENGINE-MX-HYBRID-1-3L-61K-/182106703522?hash=item2a6667c6a2:g:7BoAAOSwr41XHnml&vxp=mtr

And here is an Air Trikes redrive for that engine: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Air-Trikes-SPG-3-gearbox-conversion-kit-L15-A-Honda-Fit-Jazz-/252494667375?hash=item3ac9dade6f:g:S~QAAOSwLVZV6MBQ&vxp=mtr

The engine is on ebay for 550 bucks, and the redrive is also on ebay for US $2,195.00. Can the engine guys here throw out a ball park estimate of how much a ready to fly engine would cost using these two components as a basis?

rv7charlie

Lifetime Supporter
Just a wild guess because there are too many things undefined, like what components you're willing to use, whether you can weld (motor mount), etc. I'd budget at least a grand for parts & materials. And hope you get lucky.

Charlie
Mazda Renesis FWF in progress

Autodidact

You would need at the very least, I think, not including propeller and engine mount to make it simpler (buy a prop vs make a prop...), an ECU and a cooling system. I would want to take advantage of the dual plugs and convert from the sequential firing to a true redundant ignition - if possible, because the combustion chamber may be designed to facilitate the slight interval between sparks in each cylinder; dual plug aero engines work well with two sparks or only one spark with only a slight loss of rpm and power, so I think there's a good chance it could work. In that case, I would fab an intake for a carburetor and try to put together a simple dual ignition. Otherwise, it would need an ECU and I think Rv6ejguy (Ross) could supply that. So I guess the main extra expense would be the cooling system?

Supposing your estimate of $1,000 is right, that's $3,745 plus a little added padding is $4,000. That's really not too bad.

rv7charlie

Lifetime Supporter
My thousand dollar number assumed that it was a running engine, and assumed the prop was not part of the $1K. You could easily spend $1k on just the engine controller, injectors, etc before you're done. The $1k was just to get the systems around the engine (cooling, etc) purchased and installed.

Are you answering your own questions? :)

Autodidact

My thousand dollar number assumed that it was a running engine, and assumed the prop was not part of the $1K. You could easily spend $1k on just the engine controller, injectors, etc before you're done. The $1k was just to get the systems around the engine (cooling, etc) purchased and installed.

Are you answering your own questions? :)
More or less! :) I've been looking on youtube at Air Trikes powered trikes, and they seem to work well and seem to have some kind of track record with examples flying in Russia, Canada, and the USA. Is there a trike forum I should go lurk on to find out more? I'm really not interested in trikes per se, but in how well the engine/PSRU works.

rv7charlie

Lifetime Supporter
Try googling these terms, individually or together:
Yamaha powered Kolb
Yamaha RX-1 powered aircraft
Yamaha Apex powered aircraft
Steve Henry Yamaha RX-1 (youtube)
Teal Jenkins Yamaha RX-1 (youtube)
Mohawk Aero
edit: add Skytrax Yamaha conversion

Charlie

Last edited:

Autodidact

That's a very nice engine, a little expensive but it would make a very nice engine for a 2 seat aircraft; where does the Rotax gearbox get purchased from?

rv7charlie

Lifetime Supporter
The Mohawkaerocraft version of the adapter is supposed to be set up to be 'universal'. It's not obvious from the website, but the owner has written extensively on some forums saying that you can use almost any gearbox with it. He only shows a turnkey engine on the website, but if you call him or email him, I'll bet he'd sell just the adapter. You might well be able to use the Air Trikes reduction with it. It looks like it's a good adapter, but don't listen to anything the owner says about engines. He's kinda clueless when it comes to thermodynamics & the physics of internal combustion engines. (He thinks that 1/2 throttle is 75% power, for example.)

I've never tried to source a Rotax box, but I'd bet that they are available from any Rotax dealer.

Charlie