Homemade floats

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Scarecrow56

I have been looking around and it appears to me at the price of factory kits or factory built floats, a person could easily save a ton of cash by building his own. I am familiar with both metal and wood working however am better and more well equipped to build from wood. Anyone building floats or know of plans for floats? I am looking at a Kitfox 4 or similar design.

WBNH

There are kits out there....Zenair is the first to come to mind... Maybe plans available if you prefer to scratch build.

Zenair float prices - Zenair Floats

MukTuk floats if you prefer to build in wood. Haven't heard about them in a while, though, so not sure if they're still active. Website is still up though.

Kits and plans for ultralight floats

They do Plans and Kits...but unsure if they ever got their two-place size float up and running (website hasn't been updated in a while).

I've never dealt with or built either however, so have no recommendation.

Scarecrow56

Thanks for the links. I have looked at the first one but not the second. I would prefer amphibious. I would also prefer scratch built as I believe I could build floats for way less than they want for even their kits. I built a 15' sailboat for about $200 from scratch which is my indicator. I've got plenty of time to look around though so no hurry.

Turd Ferguson

Check ebay for some old Benson Gyro plans - floats supplement. All wood, very easy to build. Might need minor mods for a kitfox, i.e., primarily scaled up for weight increase.

Many years ago I used some of those plans to build a pedal boat. Modified for flat bottom, no step.

Somewhat more of a challenge if you plan to make them amphibious.