Homemade 12" shear and 30" brake

Discussion in 'Workshop Tips and Secrets / Tools' started by Pops, Dec 12, 2013.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Dec 12, 2013 #1

Pops

Pops

Pops

Thought I would put pictures of couple tools that I have made. One is a heavy 12" shear that I built from scrap steel and had the blades heat treated. Good for shearing small aluminum parts.
    Second is the 30" brake from scrap steel for forming Bearhawk stab ribs. Will make a "C" channel down to 3/8" wide and 30" long of up to .040 4130 steel. Using 3 bottle jacks for the clamping pressure needed. Got lazy and used a 16" cresent wrench instead of a handle, (Takes less Room). The tool in front of the 30" brake is a Bar Folder. Will also fold channels, but not heavy enough for 4130 steel, just aluminum.
    Another picture of the homemade 8' brake for forming the Bearhawk spar webs.
    Dan

Attached Files:

Autodidact, delta, Vipor_GG and 3 others like this.
  2. Dec 13, 2013 #2

dcstrng

dcstrng

dcstrng

That's pretty impressive... I made a "Dave" brake and it took me months of trial and error (mostly error) but to also make a shear is a cut above....

Really nice...

3. Dec 13, 2013 #3

RJW

RJW

RJW

Nice tools. Your brake looks a lot like my homemade brake. But mine is only six feet. I have a homemade press, tubing bender, and a lathe too. But the lathe is going to be made into something else since I just bought a 1918 South Bend. I’m going to use the South Bend to make a nicer lathe and a small mill. I also have a pretty good size refractory that I made last year. The refractory was a lot of fun to make and gets hot enough to melt iron. But so far I’ve only used it to pour aluminum. It cost a whopping $28 to build. I like making stuff.

Rob

4. Dec 13, 2013 #4

Pops

Pops

Pops

I also like to make stuff. I have a homemade press, and a very heavy duty 12" brake for making aircraft fittings. I have 3 homemade tool cabinets, one 3' long and the other 4' long, on castors, made from 11 gauge steel. very heavy.
    Built both of our houses, drove every hail, wiring, plumbing, heating/cooling, etc. So, like you, I love to make things. I grew up with my grandfather, (1876-1959) that was a blacksmith. Dan

5. Dec 13, 2013 #5

X'N

X'N

X'N

Nice work pop's! I was really close to building my own brake to do my spar webs for my patrol, but found a local guy that has an accubend that let me use it for free!

I started building a 12" brake out of hardwood to bend light stuff but ended up wasting too much time and $ and abandoned the project.

6. Dec 13, 2013 #6

delta

delta

delta

I'll bet you've forged a few knives as well. I've been meaning to build a forge for a long time and since I need heat in my barn this time of year, I might finally dust off that "round tuit".

7. Dec 13, 2013 #7

RJW

RJW

RJW

Very cool Dan. Yup, you’re a mad fabricator too. I’ve never built a house but would like to someday. I’ve restored/rebuilt about a dozen houses and built a nice big garage at one of our houses. I do everything alone. The garage went up in only about two weeks.

Like you, I’ve put together dozens of cars and motors over the years. I even built a guitar once. I put together my own computers too. But that’s pretty easy.

It’s lots of fun doing all this stuff but unfortunately heavy work is pretty hard you. At 51 I’m starting to wear out. Bones, muscles, joints, and even brain don’t work as well as they used to.

I have yet to build an airplane. But that should be remedied by the end of next year.

Rob

delta likes this.
  8. Dec 13, 2013 #8

Pops

Pops

Pops

Made all of the knifes used in butchering on the farm from old files. Grandfather taught me when I was about 10 years old. I still have some of his old tools and a horse "Single Tree" that he made. He would make Buggies and wagons from scratch. From cutting the trees to a finished product.
    RJW-- Yes-- I have built several cars, building my 4th and 5th homebuilt airplane and restored several old factory aircraft. The last one is in an Museum in Berlin, Germany.
    Had a side business in the 70's selling VW Bugs and building VW engines.
    51 years old, heck, you are a kid. My daughter is 53 years old, son 52 and another son 50 year old. BTW-- My daughter stated helping me build airplanes when he was about 13-14 years old and can overhaul aircraft engines, etc and I wouldn't paint an airplane without her. Oldest son, ex-Airforce, C-130's, his son (28 years old) Airlines, and flys a Lear 45 with 6 type ratings.
    Sorry, sometimes I just keep rattling one. Dan --- Now you know why they call me Pops.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
    akwrencher likes this.
  9. Dec 14, 2013 #9

akwrencher

akwrencher

akwrencher

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

That's really cool Pops. I've been dreaming and scheming for years, and fineally getting close(er) to starting a build. Shopping for plans and going to try hard to at least get some small parts built this year. My Daughter is 12 and we are looking at building a VJ-22 amphib. I'm thinking the wood construction would be conducive to working with together. Keep up the pics and posts, it's very inspiring for us "Kids" :)

10. Dec 14, 2013 #10

Pops

Pops

Pops

My "Kids" still talk about the good times we had together in the evening helping me work on the KR-2. They would help spread the glue and drive the nailing strips, etc. We all worked on it every Saturday evening. Go for it and spend good times with her. She will remember it the rest of her life with a smile on her face and a warm heart.
    Dan

akwrencher and delta like this.
  11. Jan 17, 2014 #11

Geek1945

Geek1945

Geek1945

The brake might do double duty as a shop press, one problem though those tools likely have a better lifetime guarantee than their builder. Seems once we get 'smart enough' to realize we can build better tools than buy them our lifetime body parts start failing. Even worse the doctor's tell you their all out of parts for your model year. LOL

12. Jan 17, 2014 #12

Pops

Pops

Pops

LOL -- That is the truth. I have steel in my left leg and also in my right arm for 7 years until a bone graft. My wife got a new hip last year. I have a question that I asked my wife and she couldn't answer. For my wife, how many replacement parts does it take to classify as a new body? I ask that question because I'm married to a 73 year old and wonder what it would be like to be married to a young thing. Dan

13. Jan 17, 2014 #13

RJW

RJW

RJW

That’s a great take on going for a “younger woman”. Yup, keep at it and she’ll be all new again. Just like getting a new hairdo.[​IMG]

Rob