Homebuilt (rebuilt) PPC?

Discussion in 'Rules and Regulations / Flight Safety / Better Pil' started by Dana, Mar 19, 2010.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Mar 19, 2010 #1

Dana

Dana

Dana

Super Moderator Staff Member

I know there aren't many PPCers here but maybe somebody has some useful insight.

Anybody know how the FAA does (or would) treat a homebuilt PPC?

I believe a few people have managed it, but I've also heard the FAA doesn't like the idea, due to the chute being so labor intensive (even if the labor is in China) that meeting the 51% rule is questionable.

Here's the situation: A friend of mine had a two seat commercially manufactured PPC, which he flew legally as an ultralight under the BFI exemption. He was very ill, and never got the ELSA conversion paperwork in on time, so conventional wisdom says it's now a lawn ornament or pile of parts. He has since passed away, and his widow wants to give it to any of his friends who will use it. Another friend of mine, who wants to get his SP in PPC's, is interested in it, but how can he fly it legally?

My suggestion was to get a receipt from the widow for "parts", including the chute and engine. Then disassemble the machine, buy a bunch of tubing and
    hardware from a reputable supplier like ACS, which wouldn't cost that much, duplicate the frame from scratch, and register it as a new E-AB (the beautiful anodized tubing of the original machine would be a dead giveaway, besides he'd need receipts for the raw materials, no?) Then the original materials are "spares".

I know there are [supposedly] "friendly" DAR's who'll pass nearly anything, but this approach seems like it should even be legal... after all, he would be building a new machine.

Any comments?

-Dana

Balance the budget--declare politicians a game species.

2. Mar 22, 2010 #2

Joe Kidd

Joe Kidd

Joe Kidd

I’m showing my ignorance here but why couldn’t your friend have this PPC signed off on as an experimental-exhibition aircraft with the FAA? If that is feasible then he can fly it often enough in a prescribed airspace to maintain proficiency, then with consent of FAA fly it at air show’s. Off course should he wish to document a scratch build copy of the existing airframe that is an entirely new build, he gains approval to do so, then so be it.

3. Mar 22, 2010 #3

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

If you can find out how the Breezy qualifies while using existing wings and tail from a certified aircraft, you may find your path to E-AB there.

4. Mar 22, 2010 #4

Dana

Dana

Dana

Super Moderator Staff Member

I think the exhibition rules are too restrictive for a guy who just wants to fly around with his wife, from different fields around the area. Plus he wants to use it to get his SP certificate, not sure how the rules handle that.

-Dana

The greatest threat to western civilization are people whose fear of other people's liberty exceeds the love of their own.

5. Mar 22, 2010 #5

Joe Kidd

Joe Kidd

Joe Kidd

At this point then I'd suggest he speak with some other folk's and find out who are the most open and fair minded DAR's in the area. If he's allowed an E/AB then he can take lesson's in his own PPC. The bottom line though is it won't cost him anything to inquire first.
    I spoke with a couple of DAR's in my area reqarding an aircraft that missed the E-LSA grace period who were unhelpful. I passed on that buy option, but felt that in another location someone else would have been willing to help within the legal limits.