• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Homebuilt RAT?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DLrocket89

All,

I work at company that makes RATs for commercial and military airplanes. Explanation of RAT: Ram air turbine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia In a nutshell, a small, airstream-driven generator to provide power (hydrualic, electrical, etc). In this case, because most homebuilts don't have hydraulics, it'd be purely electrical.

I got to thinking about having a RAT on a homebuilt, then came across this:

GENNIPOD WIND GENERATOR from Aircraft Spruce

Seems like it'd fit the bill, put it on a hinged platform so that it is inside the airplane normally, pull a lever to release it, it then provides power (fuel pump, avoinics, whatever).

I realize that the power consumption of a typical homebuilt makes it such that a battery alone will get you a long ways before needing to land. Just wondering if someone out there has ever done something like this before or not...when I build my airplane (Spacewalker II), I may put this in there, if nothing else, for the engineering challenge of it.

Thoughts?

Back