Homebuilt LSA Requirements

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by pequeajim, Sep 22, 2007.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Sep 22, 2007 #1

pequeajim

pequeajim

pequeajim

I was looking at a Sonex and asked about the owner flying off the hours of the newly built aircraft along with the newly built Aerovee engine kit.

Here was his reply which confused me a bit...

FAA requires only 5 hours flight time for aircraft registered as an "LSA". If the same aircraft were registered as "Experimental" than 40 hours would be required. Also as I mentioned earlier anybody can take the 16hr course and do the annual inspections for any LSA aircraft . If this aircraft were registered as "Experimental" than only the builder/owner or an A/P mechanic could inspect it.I had a long conversation with the FAA Light Sport Division about all these issues. Being registered as an "LSA" has a lot of advantages over "Experimental". That's why I chose to register this as an "LSA". Flying off the 5 hours just makes for one really fun day.

I thought any aircraft built by an individual had to be registered as Experimental unless it was certified?

2. Sep 24, 2007 #2

Rhino

Rhino

Rhino

There's no such thing as an aircraft registered as an LSA, unless you're speaking of SLSA or ELSA. SLSAs are flight tested by the manufacturer, so it doesn't affect you. ELSAs have the same flight test requirements as any other experimental aircraft as far as I know, so I'm not sure what you're getting at. The only five hour test period I can find a reference to is for ultralights that are converting to ELSA. Unless this Sonex is being converted from an ultralight (not possible), I believe the seller is confused.

Amateur built aircraft must be registered as Experimental LSA (ELSA) if built from an approved ELSA kit, or as Experimental aircraft, sometimes referred to as Experimental-Amateur Built (E-AB). Technically, both are experimentals, and generally subject to the same limitations.

3. Sep 29, 2007 #3

smoore

smoore

smoore

Some people are registering their newly-completed Sonex as an E-LSA. Yes 5hrs Phase 1, yes they can take the LSA maintenance class and be able to sign annuals.

It's a loophole because of the fat ultralights getting registered as E-LSA. It's going away on Jan 1, 2008 IIRC so the point is pretty moot for anyone considering a project now.

In the future, all Sonex will be registered EX-AB. Typical repairman certificates apply for these aircraft, in that only the 51% builder may sign annuals in the logbook.

4. Oct 1, 2007 #4

Rhino

Rhino

Rhino

I didn't know Sonex had an approved ELSA kit.

5. Oct 1, 2007 #5

smoore

smoore

smoore

They don't. The loophole isn't closed yet.

6. Oct 3, 2007 #6

Rhino

Rhino

Rhino

What loophole? The Jan 1, 2008 deadline is in 14 CFC Part 21.191(i)(1).

103.1 is ultralights. Based solely on that, the Sonex might appear to qualify. However, immediately after that, it says...

Since the Sonex does not meet an applicable consensus standard, it would not qualify to be registered as an ELSA by January. That's why I don't understand where any loophole exists.

7. Oct 7, 2007 #7

Midniteoyl

Midniteoyl

Midniteoyl

Any A&P can sign an EX-AB's annual...

8. Oct 8, 2007 #8

smoore

smoore

smoore

I don't know how or why people can register Sonex as ELSA. Perhaps it was all a peyote hallucination.

Of course an A&P can sign off on an annual for an EX-AB but someone who has taken the LSA course cannot.

I guess I'll just read, since everything posted here is going to be picked apart.

Again, I don't know how and of course they can!

geez.

9. Oct 8, 2007 #9

Midniteoyl

Midniteoyl

Midniteoyl

Dude... nothing personal, but you wrote it and I didnt want others to missunderstand what you ment.

10. Oct 9, 2007 #10

smoore

smoore

smoore

Sorry about that, bad day yesterday.

11. Oct 16, 2007 #11

Rhino

Rhino

Rhino

I wasn't trying to pick at you. I just didn't understand the supposed loophole. From reading the FARs, there doesn't appear to be a loophole. That's why I questioned it. I figured either you were aware of something that I was not, or that someone you talked to was operating under some mistaken impression. I lean toward the latter.

12. Oct 18, 2007 #12

smoore

smoore

smoore

Looks like I was incorrect about "some people" going the E-LSA route. it appears there has been "one person" who got a Sonex registered as E-LSA. I wonder what other kit I was reading about that "people" were doing it. As a guess, I think I probably got my Zenith and Sonex lists mixed up.

I don't want to out the guy by name but if you search the sonextalk group on yahoo it's been discussed within 30 days.