• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Homebuilt Aircraft Component Factory - A good idea?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

futurethink

I was looking through the Kitplanes website recently and some builders threads as well. Each aircraft is either hand built or built from materials or parts supplied from the factory - wings, fuselage etc.

Given the high cost of these components and also the tooling and factory space redundancy, what if the components were made to spec in in one large factory? Work would be constant, and standards could be kept high.

For example, one builder may want wings for plane X and another builder may need a fuselage for plane Y and so on, if the blueprints are shipped out maybe the parts could be built and shipped in?

One possible objection is the cost of labor, but the company building the kit plane could simply subcontract out the relevant parts to the Component Factory and then ship them to the user.

Has anyone tried this idea?

I hope someone makes this a reality - it might make building kit built aircraft so much easier. Maybe. I don't know.

Will I ever build a kit plane? No, but I would sure like to be part of the design team. That is where I stand.

Back