Homebuilders interested in a CHEAP soaring project see this !

Discussion in 'Soaring' started by Victor Bravo, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Mar 5, 2019 #1

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

https://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29770&page=11 Scroll down to my last post on this thread:

The American Spirit was a well-intentioned but poorly executed attempt to make an American sailplane for homebuilders, that could hold its own against European high performance sailplanes. The man in charge of the project, Tor Jensen, made numerous errors in the planning and execution. But this would represent an excellent starting point for an E-AB effort to make an efficient powerplane, a self-launch glider, etc. Even with all the issues and potential problems the Spirit exhibited, the molded parts and canopy in this kit are worth five times the $200 asking price.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/avo/d/tempe-american-soaring-concepts/6827348655.html

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  2. Mar 5, 2019 #2

BoKu

BoKu

BoKu

That's a steal for the canopy transparency alone. Some early-model Discus or Ventus owner ought to buy it for the canopy and donate the rest to someone who can use it as a simulator. If I was closer, I'd go get it myself.

Topaz likes this.
  3. Mar 6, 2019 #3

don january

don january

don january

I seen this on Craigs list and thought to myself what a hidden Gem hidden in the wings.

4. Mar 6, 2019 #4

BoKu

BoKu

BoKu

Spirit and Falcon wings were uniformly mediocre when brand new, and long-term storage of any type is never kind to their unassembled sandwich skins. They are relatively lightweight fiberglass sandwich, and tend to creep unless they are either stored in their alignment cradles or assembled into a wing.

To make a useful wing set from them you have to build a 24-foot straight table, support the upper skins in airfoil cradles, and install all the internal parts. Then you can bond on the lower skins, closing the wings in dry-on-dry joints along the leading edge, along the bondline between the shear web and the lower spar cap, along the flap/aileron cove closeout, and along the trailing edge. Then you cut along the flap/aileron hinge lines, and use the cutoffs to make the flaps and ailerons. It's a lot of work, and it's hard to know you've done it right until the glue cures, at which time there is very little opportunity to fix anything. I know of at least one set that was assembled twisted due to conceptual errors in setting up the worktables, and subsequently scrapped.

You also have to implement one of several fixes to reinforce the root ribs where they react bending loads between the two spar stubs. This structural system was poorly designed, and several Spirit/Falcon ships failed in static test at or below 5g.

I watched a couple of Spirit/Falcon gliders go together at Bay Area Composite Repair in Fremont before proprietor Steve Brown decided against being an ASC build center. What I saw shaped a lot of the design decisions I made for the HP-24. In specific, I decided that the best way to make consistently straight wings is to use the wing molds as the closure fixtures, so nobody is on the hook to build and align a perfectly straight and twist-free 24-foot worktable.

--Bob K.

fly2kads, proppastie and Topaz like this.
  5. Mar 6, 2019 #5

TerryM76

TerryM76

TerryM76

If someone in the group wants to buy it I will pick it up from the seller and keep it in Tempe until it can be picked up by the buyer. I will be on Spring Break 2 weeks from now.

Terry