(Hollywood Physics) Does Jet Fuel Explode?

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by Aerowerx, Sep 29, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Oct 3, 2019 #41

BJC

BJC

BJC

I put over 200,000 miles on my diesel Rabbit. Never had any leaks. Only corrective engine maintenance was to replace a glow plug. Added gasoline, about 20 to 25 % to the fuel during cold weather (20F and below). It would get to 75 MPH on the Interstate with no headwind, and still get 55 MPG.

Burned lots of Jet A in small industrial boilers in lieu of No. 2 Fuel Oil circa 1982. It was cheaper because the fuel terminal operator had a take-or-pay contract and the airlines were in a slump.

BJC

Pops likes this.
  2. Oct 3, 2019 #42

Rik-

Rik-

Rik-

Sorry, but from the comment I didn’t know what you were trying to say as in this comment you clarified it.

No problem it just wasn’t paraphrased correctly to make it understood is all.

3. Oct 3, 2019 #43

Pops

Pops

Pops

My son put over 300,000 miles on a 1981 Rabbit and it still looked new. He still waxed the painted metal under the hood. Working for VW at the time I could buy 6 month old company cars for about 1/2 price. The VW gas had nice power but the diesel was low on power but high on mileage. We also made parts for the little rabbit truck. I would like the have a diesel Rabbit truck that was like new.

4. Oct 3, 2019 #44

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

The Rabbit was the first very high MPG full size car if memory serves. It was all the rage the first time gas prices went nuts.

5. Oct 3, 2019 #45

Rik-

Rik-

Rik-

My only problem with the car was the glow plugs went out at a little over 100K miles. I paid $400.00 for it and put new tires on it. Drove it to San Francisco for 2 years and parked it, climbed out the sun roof and found it where I left it every time.

Think I was getting in the 30's mpg range but I was beating it like a dirty towel the whole time.

6. Oct 3, 2019 #46

Pops

Pops

Pops

Was bad about rusting until 1981. First year using the galvanized coated steel. VW of Germany said the American built Rabbit was a better built Rabbit than the German built Rabbit because of the better steel used.
    Local man found a diesel Rabbit on Ebay this last year that was very nice, paid a huge price for it. More than it cost new.

Always wondered what happen the the 100 aluminum bodies that were stamped out. I didn't have anything to do with it, but I did check out the aluminum alloy and knew they were going to have problems with the hard aluminum in the draw press. They did, and had splits everywhere until getting the correct aluminum for the job.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
  7. Oct 3, 2019 #47

Rik-

Rik-

Rik-

So did they end up with a different annealed or hardness material?

8. Oct 3, 2019 #48

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

Forget what model year (1986 or 1987??) it was, but I used to have a 5-speed turbocharged diesel Jetta. I got 55mpg on the highway. 40 in city driving. And it had a 20 gallon tank. I could have gone 1000 miles between fill ups, but the most I ever did was 800.

It was all mechanical injection, and the last model year before they went to electronic injectors whenever that was. Got it at a good price, I remember, as it was the last one they had in stock after the new model year came out.

Hated to get rid of it, but was having knee problems. The clutch spring was the stiffest I had ever seen. (Besides, got married and the Mrs. couldn't drive a stick shift.:()

9. Oct 3, 2019 #49

BJC

BJC

BJC

Shift to first gear, immediately switch the AC off, accelerate through the gears (with lots of patience), then switch AC on. It made a difference.

BJC

Pops likes this.
  10. Oct 3, 2019 #50

PMD

PMD

PMD

OT: diesel will both burn and explode, but not likely at atmospheric pressure. When diesel fuel is injected into the combustion chamber, if everything is right, it burns. BUT: if you remember the clatter and knock of old diesels, sometimes the charge would explode resulting in a big knock that would blow the water off of the cylinder liner on the cooling side and result in bad cavitation damage when the resulting bubble imploded. This "knocking" is why old tech diesels were so heavy - they had to tolerate the explosions that went with poor timing, chamber airflow/turbulence and bad atomisation of low pressure injection. I guess it MIGHT explode at lower pressures, but you would need a hell of a pile of energy to cause that to happen. It all depends upon what you call/define "explosion" (usually supersonic travel of flame front).

Off Topic: being an ex VW guy I would KILL to find one of those aluminum Rabbit (US Golf) bodies. Would make a dandy solo racer/sleeper. I will take great exception over the statement that the US made cars were in any way "better" than the German production ones. Our dealer council (Canada) REFUSED to accept the Westmoreland cars until 1981, even then over great protest. That plant and the products from it were a QA/QC disaster, even if they did rust less! But, I would grab an aluminum one in an instant.

Pops likes this.
  11. Oct 3, 2019 #51

Pops

Pops

Pops

Yes, they had a OC problem at the stamping plant were I worked. We supplied all the panels for Westmoreland and also did stamping for Ford, GM and Dodge. Until the new computer measuring equipment was installed in the QC department there was a problem. I installed the equipment. Equipment made in Germany and all instructions and prints were in German. Had a factory rep from Germany that came with the equipment and could speak very little English. I got the help of one of the Tool and Die machinist that was from Germany. Was drafted in the German army when he was 16 years old and said the day he was captured by the U.S. Army in Italy a year latter was the greatest day of his life. I introduced AL to the factory rep, they talked German for a few minutes and Al turned to me and said the rep was from northern Germany and I'm from Southern Germany and I can't understand anything the Ba***rd is saying. So the Rep was send back to Germany and I can read a little German and with AL's help when I needed it, I got the equipment installed and working. (Wife's mother side of the family are German Jews).
    Made a huge change in the QC. I can't remember the year but 1981 or so sounds about right.

What did you do for VW of America ?
    Yes, I would love to find one of the aluminum bodies. QC put two bodies together and the rest of the body panels were sent to Westmoreland. The 2 at our plant was scraped. I watched as they were shoved in the large dumpster to be hauled off to the scrap metal place. Scrap metal place had a contract with VW that all of the scrap metal had to be bailed.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
  12. Oct 5, 2019 #52

Twodeaddogs

Twodeaddogs

Twodeaddogs

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

The VW Golf Diesel (Rabbit to you guys) was a fine car, I had two. It had no turbo so it wouldn't pull the skin off a sausage but it gave you back 55 mpg all day long, as long as you never tried to overtake a truck on the motorway. Or any other kind of vehicle, for that matter. Except maybe a mobility scooter or a milk float. The engine, if serviced properly, would easily last 250,000 miles and on Irish roads in the 80s, that's saying something. Golfs always had a reputation for being tough, too and they sold in their millions for good reason......as for running diesels on Jet A1, crkckr is perfectly correct. You can do it as long as you add some lubricant, otherwise the first thing you'll ruin is the expensive injection pump. I've known people add oil in the same ratio as for a two-stroke engine; 50 to 1 for old engines, 40 to 1 for newer units.

13. Oct 5, 2019 #53

Speedboat100

Speedboat100

Speedboat100

Kerosene burns a long time ( USS Forrestal accident ) :

14. Oct 5, 2019 #54

Pops

Pops

Pops

Remembered when that happen in the news.

15. Oct 5, 2019 #55

Speedboat100

Speedboat100

Speedboat100

It seems to be double recorded. I can only remember Apollo flights, but I remember there was a war in Far East !

16. Oct 5, 2019 #56

Pops

Pops

Pops

I have socks older than you :)

17. Oct 6, 2019 #57

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

Well, I remember Gus Grissom on the Mercury Redstone, you whippersnapper!:)

Pops and Bill-Higdon like this.
  18. Oct 6, 2019 #58

Kyle Boatright

Kyle Boatright

Kyle Boatright

I still do that. SWMBO always questions why I'm forever turning the A/C on and off in the car.

How much HP is required to run a typical auto A/C system?

19. Oct 6, 2019 #59

BJC

BJC

BJC

I think that the Rabbit AC consumed 5 or 6 HP; a significant percentage of the engine’s 54 HP.

BJC

20. Oct 6, 2019 #60

Kyle Boatright

Kyle Boatright

Kyle Boatright

Particularly noticeable in the lower end of the rev range when the engine is only making 25 or 30 hp...

Pops and BJC like this.