Quantcast

Hmmmmmm....Interesting

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Aerowerx

Does it have the modifications to use it in aviation?

The most critical, IIRC, are the bearings that can handle the thrust load of the prop.

Just because it is a VW engine does not mean it is a VW based aircraft engine.

Streffpilot

No, It would need to be sent out for a Force One hub (or similar)

I just found it interesting that it was such a large displacement......which is usually good for Aviation....

I won't use it for several reasons....

1. Waaaaay too much $$$$ especially considering mods needed.
2. Probably larger than I need (heresy, I know)
3. I'd rather send Scott Casler some cash and get a bolt on engine.

Daleandee

No, It would need to be sent out for a Force One hub (or similar)

I just found it interesting that it was such a large displacement......which is usually good for Aviation....

I won't use it for several reasons....

1. Waaaaay too much $$$$ especially considering mods needed.
2. Probably larger than I need (heresy, I know)
3. I'd rather send Scott Casler some cash and get a bolt on engine.
I'd add # 4 to be - nearly impossible to keep cool. Seems that many of the 2180's and above are having a hard time running cool enough to keep from having to do head/valve work every 50-60 hours. Bump up to such a large displacemnet (2600) with no addtitional cooling and that concern can only grow more concerning.

This one appears to use nearly stock heads and case. As mentioned the case is another area that is being asked to do so much more than it was originally designed for. Seems to me that you may need to look closer at a 3.0 Corvair! :gig:

Dale Williams
N319WF @ 6J2
Myunn - "daughter of Cleanex"
120 HP - 3.0 Corvair
Tail Wheel - Center Stick
Signature Finish 2200 Paint Job
143.7 hours / Status - Flying

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
I think that's a Type 4 engine. If so, it's a whole different beast than a Type 1, and a beast you don't want to wrestle with. They went into vans and some other vehicles (VW-branded 914 cars sold in Germany). Parts are harder to get and pricier. If you need that much power, I'd recommend you look at a non-VW. And I like VWs--Type 1s.

All of the VW Type 4 engines had aluminum cases. They were available in stock versions up to 2000cc (the largest stock VW Type 1s were 1600cc).

Last edited:

Streffpilot

Interesting. Like I said, my current plan is just to get a prebuilt motor from Scot Casler, But I came across this one and it just set off that "hmmm...what if" part of my brain.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
The ad is for a type 4,(T4) stock bore and stroke for a 2600 cc type 4. The picture is a Type 1 built by Scat. The easiest way to tell is the difference between a type 1 and type 4, The type 4 has the exhaust coming out the bottom of the head and not the front and rear. Disclaimer on picture.
Scott sells good engines at good prices.

http://www.bughaus.com/Tech_-_Engine_Displacement.htm

Last edited:

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Isn't a full VW too heavy for a Minimax? Most Minis use half VW's.

Dana

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member

Dana
There is a V-Max. Designed for a 60 HP, 1835 cc 4 cyl VW engine. My neighbor has a set of plans and I borrowed the plans to looked them over. Nice airplane.

Daleandee

The ad is for a type 4,(T4) stock bore and stroke for a 2600 cc type 4. The picture is a Type 1 built by Scat.
I was asleep at the switch as I seen the photo and the specs and didn't realize what you have pointed out.

Thanks ...

Dale
N319WF

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
The ad is for a type 4,(T4) stock bore and stroke for a 2600 cc type 4. The picture is a Type 1 built by Scat. The easiest way to tell is the difference between a type 1 and type 4, The type 4 has the exhaust comes out the bottom of the head and not the front and rear. Disclaimer on picture.
Scott sells good engines at good prices.

http://www.bughaus.com/Tech_-_Engine_Displacement.htm
I was asleep at the switch as I seen the photo and the specs and didn't realize what you have pointed out.

Thanks ...

Dale
N319WF
I only "kinda" figured it out because I was pretty sure nobody made a Type 1 2600cc engine and the SCAT part number ended with a "T4."

Streffpilot

Dana

I am building a 1550 V-Max Eros hybrid. Has been approved by the designer. Has the V-Max strength to hold the VW, but also the nice back turtle deck of the Eros.....because the V-Max was never designed with an enclosed canopy....and I live in Wisconsin. Where a good 50% of my flying is on cooler days (as an aside, a 172 can climb like crazy on a 20 degree F day.)

Wayne

HBA Supporter
Log Member