• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Hirth 35HF Jet A 2-stroke, no oil mixing needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

12notes

Supporting Member
I stumbled across this engine recently but can't find any more info or if it's available to any organization too small to have it's own military:

https://hirthengines.com/2-stroke-engines/35hf-series/
It's a 2 stroke, 60 Hp, 79 lb (wet), 2 cylinder engine that runs on kerosene based fuels (Jet A) and doesn't need oil mixed into the fuel. My main objection to 2 stroke engines is the need to mix the oil with the fuel. This seems to solve that problem, it lighter than the 1/2 VW I currently have while being a lot more powerful. Apparently there was an earlier version called the 3503 HF, and I've also seen reference to the Hirth S1204 HF, which is based on the F23, and has 45hp and weighs around 50 lbs.

I was wondering if anyone has seen one, has any experience with one, or knows what they cost. Ideally, the S1204HF would work for my application if it can be found and it's not extremely expensive. 35HF would be overkill power-wise, but still fit.

Other than a potential whopper of a price, is there some downside I'm not seeing here?

Last edited:
Reactions: PMD
Back